Author Topic: Poll: The Ultimate WWII Air Combat Movie???  (Read 650 times)

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Poll: The Ultimate WWII Air Combat Movie???
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2000, 07:19:00 AM »
Yeah in Final Countdown didd't the jet wash of the F14 down one of them zekes or was that a sparrow missle...

????

the other zeke ate some 20mm

DoctorYO

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »
A must purchase for the DVD collector, the World War II collection:
The Longest Day
Tora Tora Tora
Patton
I am hoping the Battle Of Britain is released for the 60th anniversery on dvd.

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2000, 03:38:00 PM »
Set your VCRs simheads...

TCM listings are shown in Eastern Time
Our broadcast day runs from 6am to 6am, and thus listings that are for times from 12:00am to 6:00am are displayed with the previous day's date. A listing for Casablanca on 3/5/99 at 2:30am, would play on 3/6/99 at 2:30am. Why? That is the way television broadcasters store listings. Please sign up for the TCM * Update * Newsletter to receive an email announcement of changes to the search feature.
Result of search for "fighter squadron":

8/9/00 3:00 AM - Fighter Squadron ( 1948 ) A dedicated flyer pushes himself and those around him during a perilous World War II campaign. Edmond O’Brien, Robert Stack, Rock Hudson. D: Raoul Walsh. C 95m.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2000, 04:05:00 PM »
I'll add four little-known fabulous WW2 films that are not to be missed:

Judgement at Nuremberg: 1961(B&W) Starring Spencer Tracy, Maximillian Schell, Richard Widmark, Burt Lancaster.

Fictional film based on the true life Nuremberg war crimes trials held after WW2. Focus is on Lancaster as an ex-Nazi Judge on trial for war crimes. Available only on VHS at the moment.

The Young Lions: 1959(B&W) Starring Marlon Brando, Maximillian Schell and Montgomery Clift.

Fictional story follows the WW2 experiences of American and German fighting men. Available only on VHS.

The Train 1964(B&W) Starring Burt Lancaster.

Burt Lancaster is a railway conductor trying to prevent a trainload of priceless French art treasures from being sent to Germany during the German retreat from Paris in 1944.
Features a real live Spitfire strafing attack on the train. Very cool! Available on both DVD and VHS (Hurrah!)

The Guns of Navarone 1961(color) Starring Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn.

Story of a small group of commandos out to destroy a pair of huge naval guns on top of a key Greek island. Now available on DVD! Woohoo! (oh yes, and VHS, too)

[This message has been edited by banana (edited 06-06-2000).]

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2000, 11:22:00 PM »
The original 1943 "Memphis Belle", by William Wyler, is interesting...although there's a good bit of propaganda in there.  There is some great footage of real B-17 formations in there!

IC

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2000, 11:52:00 PM »
Yes, i saw it on the History chanel, it looks like a documentary.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
Midway still captures my attention after the many times Ive seen it, I saw it on  the day it debut'ed here in the states, it was released with one of those only for theatre gimmicks, can't remember the name of the gimmick, something like "thundersound" or something, it was awesome.  i remeber it vividly.

Hey i am more the documentary type so Midway takes a backseat to VICTORY AT SEA. I ordered it from the History channel store online for...<cough> $100. Worth every penny for me. You get 6 video cassetes containing all 26 series. More combat film than you can stand Thats 668 minutes of allied propaganmda accompanied by right there in the cockpit/battlefield combat film.

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
I'm with Udie... BLUE MAX !!

If it has to be WWII I would go with "Midway".

Of course "Patton", "Final Countdown", "Saving Pvt Ryan", are not WWII air combat but are all very good.

I still need to see "Twelve O'Clock High", and I haven't seen "Battle of Britain" since I was much younger.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"