Author Topic: More Icon options  (Read 584 times)

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
More Icon options
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2002, 10:31:40 PM »
Originally posted by Toad

After 20,000+ hours flying around in various aircraft, weather conditions, etc., I think "no icons", particularly in some of our terrains, is a long, long way from "realistic".

I know some folks think it heightens their feeling of flying or fun or whatever and I have no problems with that.

"No icons" is too difficult.  "Friendly only icons" is imho the best of all the icon options currently in AH.

Lentolaivue 34 had two squad duels with 5.GIAP. In the second duel, first 2 frames were fought with "friendly only icons", and it was great. The last frame was fought with "no icons" and it was riddled with friendly fire.  Planeset was 109 G-2 vs La-5FN.

You can read the AARs here: http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23293

The screaming neon sign gives you away too easily.  As I said, a WW2OL-type fading icon might be the solution, in case "friendly only icons" will not be considered.

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
More Icon options
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2002, 11:02:23 PM »
I've never said AH icons couldn't be improved.

If someone finds "no icons" gives them greater enjoyment in the game, that's a personal valuation. I have no problem with someone thinking "no icons" is more fun or more manly or more fulfilling or whatever. Some people like blondes, some like redheads. Both are fun, both are personal choices.

What I've said repeatedly is that "no icons" is in no way "more realistic". I'll stick by that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
More Icon options
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2002, 09:27:41 AM »
Originally posted by senna
Hell no. If you wanna know what type of spit, flash past him closely like in real combat rather than HO him.

Well put, Senna. Let those folks that wanna bounce a perked ride get well within spitting distance instead of calling to every ally in range about a tempest 5.8k out!

Gainsie

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
More Icon options
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2002, 05:22:03 AM »
TOAD have very good point concerning icons but still I hope that HTC gives more icon options for host

We have right now multiple arena (host) settings like:
- external view modes
- radar modes
- flight settings

Why not current icon settings could be also arena (host) setting?

IconR(ange): 0/1 = short /long range
IconM(ode): 0=no icons, 1 = friendly icon only, 3 = player choice (like now in MA)

MA, CT, DA, TA etc are just like now BUT if somebody like setup scenario / h2h host with something different, that should not be problem to anybody...

One thing more!
Tracers on/off could be also arena (host) setting.
- No Icon and Tracers On to EVERYBODY! Think about that

S!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2002, 05:24:54 AM by Xjazz »