Author Topic: Crude Language Online  (Read 1472 times)

Offline VWE001

• Copper Member
Crude Language Online
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2002, 08:42:14 AM »
Hmmmmm... such a hot topic with such a silent response from HTC. I sent an e-mail to them about a month ago asking if anyone ever watches the text buffer and I got the same response this thread has received... nada :confused:

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crude Language Online
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2002, 09:28:25 AM »
HTC could fix the language probem real easy. They could just prevent foul offensive words from being sent through the server. Could even happen at the User end of the software so the Host would not be affected.

Ultima Online has a good approach regarding cussing/language. UO has a user option to filter profanity, so if you chose to, you can have it on or off on your end.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Crude Language Online
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2002, 09:53:12 AM »
Originally posted by NHMadmax
"Its got worse since HTC open its doors to bananas ville two many morons flying in AH now. Put price back up and get some of the idiots out. AH is a good game just getting bad due to the amount of morons that fly in the game now. "

It was alot worse last year when the price was almost twice as much . I would just cringe in the main ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
      • http://yankeeairmuseum.org
Crude Language Online
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2002, 11:48:34 AM »
Originally posted by Voss

A lot more people are against profanity then you know,  

And more than anyone here will ever know. The people bothered the most by it
1) squelch 1 so you never see them tell someone to shut up
2) do not post to these boards cause it's usually worse here than in the game, and
3) are usually the first ones to go somewhere else to play a game with adults instead of children

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Crude Language Online
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2002, 07:57:54 PM »
Originally posted by Voss
He didn't mask it well at all, and then today one of my own team mates wouldn't stop either.

Makes you wonder where they hide their brains.

Uhm Voss, i don't think he was talking to you  :D

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Crude Language Online
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2002, 02:09:55 PM »
I vote for a "squelch range" option.  That way, every aspect will be covered so that each individual may do what is appropriate to his tastes.

What really is at issue here is exactly what is considered offensive.  How can anyone possibly hope to satisfy everyone all of the time?  Quite simply, you can't.  What you might find offensive, I may not.  What I find offensive, you may not.  HTC has done what it can to help with the inclusion of a word filter, but as has been pointed out, there will always be a way around such measures.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Crude Language Online
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2002, 04:24:32 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
fighting would be better than chatting.   kills in the buffer would be better than chat in the buffer.
lazs

exactly....

"shut up and fly"

Offline sidthekid

• Zinc Member
Crude Language Online
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2002, 04:37:41 PM »
Well count your blessing here in WARBIRDS only Trainers and cm's are allowed to swear.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: f**king bas**rds
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2002, 05:31:44 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
As I heard once, maybe even read on the AHBB, "Profantity is the crutch of ignorant M-Fr's"

I much prefer, "vulgarity is the first refuge of the mediocre."

:D

personally i see no big deal about the occasional naughty words slipping out in the heat of the moment - as someone mentioned, text buffer scrolls by so fast anyway, in a sec or 3 it's gone, even faster if you simply have 3 lines up.

i find it ironic, in some ways that people who might feel offended by the correct forms of profanity, have no problem with masked profanity, i.e. chit, fug, dayum, beech, etc etc.. we all still know what they mean and automatically convert them in our heads.

i agree it's more the channel disruption, but then... .squelch (whomever, me, for example :)  )  works quite nicely.

i do agree the level of smack talk can be lacking at times... smack is all part of the game, don't respond if you can't take the heat, simple as that. nothing more funny than seeing whiny babies whining, mooooommmmmmm he called me a fuggen dweeb!!!  lol, awwww poor babies.

if you can't take ch1, go fly offline, hell, the ai drones fly better than 95% of ya, anyway, but at least they don't talk back, right?

:rolleyes:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798