Author Topic: CV Gunning… What’s the trick?  (Read 149 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
CV Gunning… What’s the trick?
« on: August 19, 2002, 07:46:47 AM »
I’ve tried gunning before and can’t seem to hit squat.  On the other hand, I’ve been defending a V base, with hills toward the water, and still see CV fire pounding the target.

How?  Is there something I’m missing or are the gunners just getting that good of information from other players.

I’ve seen bases hit from a CV without it even being in sight.  As far as I know there is only a land and sea mode and I’m not real sure what the difference is between the two.  Would someone care to enlighten me.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 07:49:53 AM »
Bring the map up, then zoom all the way up, click on the base, note the two read outs on the screen, one is your current gun elevation and position, the other is the point you just clicked on the map.  Make your elevation and position identical then use alittle kentucky windage (for the 45 mph moving CV) and let her rip.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 07:53:30 AM »
Errm, Rip, if you switch to land mode, it will traverse automaticaly for you.

Am no good at hittin' ships though :(
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 07:58:58 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Bring the map up, then zoom all the way up, click on the base, note the two read outs on the screen, one is your current gun elevation and position, the other is the point you just clicked on the map.  Make your elevation and position identical then use alittle kentucky windage (for the 45 mph moving CV) and let her rip.

Ahhhh, that would explain it.  I was wondering how they could be so accurate.  Then again, the Bish cheat anyway so whats the point really :).

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 08:00:09 AM »
Bring up map, full zoom in.

Then, take a quick peek at the field layout.

As amazing as it seems, the icon placed on the flight map is actually correctly represented in perfect scale - which means, if there is a tower right in the middle of the field, and you correctly aim right in the middle of the zoomed up icon, the guns will hit the tower.

So...

* Check the field layout.
* Check the approximate position of the target on the field
* Switch to LAND MODE on CV guns(LAND MODE automatically follows your click and aims correctly for it)
* Click the position which corresponds to the location of the target on the enlarged field icon
* And immediately after you click on the map and guns stop moving, press "F" to fire.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2002, 08:07:54 AM »
"Land Mode"...huh! Learn something new everyday! I feel pretty good about my gunnery now that I've never used that! :D

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2002, 08:17:34 AM »
Since I was blasted into oblivion recently by a battleship salvo while landing my 'bent wings bastard' after a particularly nice sortie (for me), I decided that big guns were gay :p
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2002, 02:17:19 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
"Land Mode"...huh! Learn something new everyday! I feel pretty good about my gunnery now that I've never used that! :D

Using Land Mode will put every round on a town. Just click on differing points on the town dot and you can level the entire town with about 8-10 salvos. Use the "W" key to select Land Mode, the "Q" key to switch back to manual.

Likewise, you can pinpoint and kill most airfield strats if you have the field layout handy.

Some guys know how to do this, most don't. When you see rounds falling long or short of the town you know the gunner is not aware of the Land Mode system.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2002, 03:03:56 PM »
Yup I use landmode, I zoom in on the map drag the map until the yellow dot of the base i wanna shell is aligned with my gun crosshair, and then i use gunsight zoom to really get in there +)

Makes the yellow dot about 1" square on my 17" monitor

SKurj