Author Topic: OK...THATS IT! I AM SICK OF THIS....  (Read 858 times)

Hans

OK...THATS IT! I AM SICK OF THIS....
« on: November 11, 1999, 02:48:00 AM »
Its just tooooooo damned quiet in this freaking forum guys.  Get with the program.  Where...oh where....are the strat ideas?

Common...I dare ya.

Hans.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 1999, 03:02:00 AM »
Maybe you should have posted some new ideas by yourself first?

------------------
jochen
Geschwaderkommodore
Jagdgeschwader 2 'Richthofen' (Warbirds)

If you ever get across the sea to England,
Then maybe at the closing of the day
The bars will all be serving German lager
Which means we won the war - hip hip hooray!

jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Flacke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 1999, 09:09:00 PM »
Pardonez-moi, what is a strat idea?

Hans

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 1999, 05:57:00 AM »
I was trying to let others get a word in edgewise.  If I had posted my own ideas, then this whole discussion wounldn't be a brainstorming thread.  It would have ananalysis of mine over and over.  I wanted some new ideas.

But, I will post some meat anyways.

My idea would definetly have to be about including armies.  Ground is captured with troops, not aircraft.

Each 20 by 20 mile sector should have a village in the center.

On borders of sectors between nations will be an army group of tanks, trucks & halftracks, lightweight AAA, and dismounted infantry in fox holes.  They are not fighting each other, but are out of gunfire range of each other and are waiting for air support.

When you destroy the enemy army, our army mounts up and bee lines (blitzkriegs) for the enemy town 10 miles away at top speed of about 60 miles an hour (meaning a ten minute drive).  If a few troops make it to town, the sector is captured, along with every structure inside its borders like airfeilds.

Destroying rear area factories lengthen the rebuild times of frontline troops.  Convoys and trains are just moving "factories".  They are easier to destroy, but harder to find.

Paratroopers will have a completely new function.  They cannot capture towns.  They just hold them.  What that does is stop resupply of the armys of that sector by cutting off the reinforcments and supplies passing thru the town.  I.E. local enemy army groups will not rebuild at all.  However, paratroopers cannot survive forever.  They surrender and disapear in ten minutes.

Hans.

Edited for math errors.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 11-12-1999).]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 1999, 06:48:00 AM »
Hans,

I like your idea of defining a village within each sector as the focal point for ground action.  Very good concept.  As each army moves to advance, the village they depart from is occupied by the rearward army.  This cascades until the rearmost village is left w/o an army, at which point factories start production to rebuild an army there.  

I like it a lot.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 1999, 02:20:00 PM »

Agreed,

Sweet idea Hans! One of the best I've read.

Hans

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 1999, 05:23:00 PM »
Actually Leonid, I though that rear sectors wouldn't have armys on their borders.  Seemed weird to me to have all that stuff on the ground.  It might be realistic, but we don't have to model all that stuff and use up computer resources.

But, Trains and truck convoys could be wandering around the rear areas.  They should be easier to destroy (strafing alone might do), but are harder to find.

I also thought that bomber targets should have more effect on the local sector and a small effect on the whole country.  Paratroopers capturing towns for example (even though thats a special case weapon with a special case effect).

Now, as for drivable vehicles I will give you three guess as to where they spawn (hint, near other ground forces).  You can use them to assault the enemy static formation of troops instead of going A-G with aircraft.

Hans.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 1999, 06:01:00 AM »
Hans,
Sorry, man.  It must be the Russian in me - "Defense in Depth!  Biltzkrieg nightmare syndrome, i guess  

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 1999, 07:56:00 AM »
I love strat in a game i would love convoys and everything to attack. But what i yearn for most is a front line and instead of taking a particular target by bombing and droping troops you would just help your front line advance by succesfully damaging important strategic targets helping your frontline to advance taking any fields, refinery's etc. the line moves past.

Of course thats very general but you tweak and put in detail as you go along.

Sky

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 1999, 06:16:00 AM »
Having experienced the frustrations associated with attempting to launch into a WB vulch-fest(Your country down to 1 base,the butthead country is keeping it open to run-up their scores by shooting planes on the runway), I always kinda figured that an AI
front line is the next small step in the evolution of this type of gaming. Microprose has been dropping hints an "Electronic Battlefield Series" for years, i.e. F4 and M1 tank games interact. Imagine this concept in arena play. This must be the next logical evolutionary step,IMHO. I hope HTC has the rescources and vision to exploit the technology to the envelope.
FWIW,My first air-combat experiance was with Sublogics "Flight Simulator" nearly two decades ago(2-3fps), and I'm fascinated with the direction and speed that this industry is now taking.

SkyhawK
VMFA 333 -<XXX>-
"Anytime Baby!"

Hans

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 1999, 05:16:00 PM »
Imagine when you can take a AAA vehicle for a spin instead.

Hans.