Author Topic: Beet1e got me to thinkin'....  (Read 232 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Beet1e got me to thinkin'....
« on: October 14, 2002, 12:59:33 PM »
Beet1e's post about American beer got me thinkin'.  I know there are a few of 'em out there like Ghosth and Nifty and Ozark, but are there any other homebrewers out there?  I started myself in the last year or so and have produced some pretty tasty stuff along with the batch here and there that really suck, but overall its a blast.  It has also helped me to widen my horizons and try a lot of different stuff that I prolly never would have tried in the past.  I have a close friend who fell in love with Guiness when he was in the Coast Guard in Boston and everytime he would come home to visit he would squeak about not being able to find it (this was in deep south TX).  I used to give him a hard time for drinking that dark heavy crap....but now I enjoy it from time to time myself.

So how about it?  Any other homebrewers out there?

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 01:08:36 PM »
I my self too am a home brewer and i recomend it to all!
lol the problem is, is not everyone has the time and patiance to home brew the right way!  i love ......i me love good beer from all over the world but Beet1e needs to stop ripping on us Americans and focus on his own personal issues.

I too luv the brew and i drink it every night!
I myself think the same of BRITS as i do Americans cept there a lil more pompus than we! so Beet1e keep it on the down low you envy of us Americans and our rightous self to do or thing you do yours (drinks piss warm flat beer).

Now dont get me worng i luv em all even those mentioned about (pisswarmflatbeer) but the best  part of brewing is the creation process.

Aswell i do make my own BEEF JERKY and ask KARAYA just how good my toejam is!

but anyway guys who want to or have thought about it!  HOME BREW take your time and read the instructions carefully (everything has to be sanitized)  and you will luv what you create!

Box;)
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 01:14:27 PM »
I homebrew when I can muster up the will to do all the labor :)  

- sudz

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2002, 01:25:22 PM »
I consider my wife as a homebrewer, but only when she has a yeast infection....

Seriously, its something I will dabble in once the kids get alittle older and don't require 100% of my attention.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2002, 01:39:21 PM »
Doh!!  I forgot to even mention Sudz.  If you ever get the chance to attend an AH Con, you must sample some of Sudz's fine work.  I missed the first year, but the last 2 years' brews have been excellent.   :D

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2002, 01:46:57 PM »
I bought one of those home brew kits... Ya know the cheapo kind that look like a keg with a tap on the front end. Anyway, there's three steps to it, and it takes 30 days. After the 30 days were up, I put it in my fridge to cool, closed the fridge door and anxiously awaited the fruits of my labour. A few hours pass and I head back into the kitchen to try it out, but the floor is *sopping*... Turns out I closed the door on the tap, and all my beer, all of it, went running down the inside of my fridge and flooded the floor.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 01:53:11 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
I bought one of those home brew kits... Ya know the cheapo kind that look like a keg with a tap on the front end. Anyway, there's three steps to it, and it takes 30 days. After the 30 days were up, I put it in my fridge to cool, closed the fridge door and anxiously awaited the fruits of my labour. A few hours pass and I head back into the kitchen to try it out, but the floor is *sopping*... Turns out I closed the door on the tap, and all my beer, all of it, went running down the inside of my fridge and flooded the floor.

Crazy Canucks anyways ;)

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 02:25:38 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Seriously, its something I will dabble in once the kids get alittle older and don't require 100% of my attention.

There's a place in Davis called Brew It Up! where you can brew beer on their premises using their recipes, supplies and storage facility. You add all the ingredients, cook it up and sample other peoples' beers while it cools. Then it's pumped into a keg where it ferments for 4-6 weeks in cold storage, and you came back and bottle it using their supplies. Kinda spendy, but going in halves with another couple makes it more affordable and plus it's a great time from the cooking to the bottling. It's a fun couples thing, and groups share their own more custom recipes regularly.

You might want to see if they have something like that in the Seattle area. The beer we made was good, tasted homemade and we didn't have to shell out a bunch of money for brewing equipment. Of course the fun part is coming up with creative names for your brew and making the labels. With a handle like Ripsnort I'm sure you could think of a clever label.:)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2002, 02:26:25 PM »
:)

On second thought, maybe I shoulda posted this in the "Near Death Experiences" thread...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2002, 02:28:15 PM »
Hey, I may look into that Airenwulf...sounds kinda fun!  I'll have to ask my Dad for clever names though, he's the one that gave me "Ripsnort" (Honestly, I hated the nickname while the stitches were still in...)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2002, 02:38:55 PM »
Any sites with a how to get started theme?

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2002, 02:58:04 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Any sites with a how to get started theme?

http://hbd.org/brewery

http://www.allaboutbeer.com

http://www.northernbrewer.com

I just tested some of my latest work last Saturday. I have two new cases of rich-dark Oatmeal Stout. :D (damn, it's good)

edit:

I also recommend this book for brew newbies:
The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing
by Charlie Papazian
« Last Edit: October 14, 2002, 03:08:09 PM by Ozark »