Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 201 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Is this possible?
« on: November 28, 2002, 04:55:32 PM »
I was flying back to base when I spotted an enemy con which was smoking and trying to get back home.  I was out of ammo so I figured I would get on his six and try and down him by making him manouver.  But, the guy was obviously afk, because he didn't react at all.  So I left him and went back to base myself.

Later I had a thought.  Is it possible to place my wing under the enemy wing and tip him gently so that he crashes?  Or will that cause me to go down in flames given the collision model in AH?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 05:19:35 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
I was flying back to base when I spotted an enemy con which was smoking and trying to get back home.  I was out of ammo so I figured I would get on his six and try and down him by making him manouver.  But, the guy was obviously afk, because he didn't react at all.  So I left him and went back to base myself.

Later I had a thought.  Is it possible to place my wing under the enemy wing and tip him gently so that he crashes?  Or will that cause me to go down in flames given the collision model in AH?

Most likely you'll go down in flames from the *porked* collision model.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
Is this possible?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 09:56:19 PM »
This is not a new idea. I have read that RAF pilots would crash V1s by putting a wing under them and flipping them... whether this was actually done or not though, I have no idea. I always thought the V1 was too fast for a Spit or Hurri. Still though, I think it would be pretty neat to try... :D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Is this possible?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 10:33:11 PM »
Based on my understanding of the damage modeling you'd need to get in front of the other guy...guess you need to be pretty sure he's AFK:)...then slow down so he runs into you. The damage model is based entirely on each players own "FE" so the bogie will detect a collision but you won't since it didn't happen according to your FE.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Is this possible?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 01:03:32 AM »
Don't know how fast a V1 actually is, I think somewhat below 400mph... which is still fast and hard to intercept. No early spit or hurri will catch it, but I believe V1's only appeared in 1944. (These things can be looked up, but I'm at work and it's sooo early).

What I do know is that they sent up the fastest aeroplanes they've got, Mustangs, Tempests, souped up Spits running on high octane fuel, Mosquitos and the first Meteors even.

I am convinced that someone will felsh out the details.

To come back to the topic, I think it would be great to be able to flip someone over but I also think it is not feasible with the current collision model and net lag.

Oh, and #$%^ you very much, the guy in the P51 who shot me down on my landing approach yesterday when I was about to land to Spitfire kills in my P47 :-(

Well, all in love and Aces High is fair...

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Is this possible?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 06:46:14 AM »
Ahh Humble, good idea, didn't even think of that.  You're right though...better make sure the enemy con is afk.:D

hogenbor..was that me?  I fly P51s alot...both B and D models.  Just so you know...if it was me I make no apologies.  You would have been an enemy con..whether landing, taking off, or whatever.  If you get in my sights you still have a 50/50 chance of survival based on my gunnery..so, all "is" fair in love and AH as you so aptly put it.
;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
The AH Crash Model looks like this...
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 08:34:29 AM »
The person who is flying the faster aircraft ALWAYS loses. If you are diving on an enemy and you manage to hit him, than you die and NOTHING happens to them. You tell me if that is porked or not. I would definately say so. If you guys need proof of this, I will post some films. I was flying an F4U-4 one time, I was low fighting a Yak-9U and I was trying to scissor him and bam our wings collided on my last roll and I died because I was going faster than him. No one usually seems to agree with me, but over my years of crashing into people :D; in every scenerio that was the case, I was going faster than him. Plus, flying in the H2H yesterday, this one guy couldn't shoot worth beans, so I would be evading him and he would hit me after he dove on me, he would die and NOTHING would happen to me, because he was going faster than me - both times it happened that was the case. I hope someone thinks the same way I do. Just trying to help people out. SALUTE ALL!

PS: I'm not trying to start an argument, but if anyone has another viewpoint with some kind of argument, I would like to see what they would have to say.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Is this possible?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 08:41:49 AM »
Whinin about the collision model....now that's a new twist!

Offline Tabasco

• Copper Member
Is this possible?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2002, 09:36:02 AM »
Just FYI...

Informative article on the V-1 and how they fought it (the [2.4] link)....

http://www.vectorsite.net/twcruz2.html#m4

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Is this possible?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2002, 10:12:32 AM »
I quite like the collision code. The other night whilst fighting around two CV's I collided with a Seafire in an F6F and ripped the tip of my left wing off. I managed to keep control and with plenty of rudder and stick input made it to my home field but under pressure to get my crate down quickly due to cons overhaed I screwed up my landing but I have to say after playing elsewhere AH does collisions pretty damn good IMO.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Re: The AH Crash Model looks like this...
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2002, 10:39:48 AM »
Originally posted by HeLLcAt
The person who is flying the faster aircraft ALWAYS loses.

The person who's FE sees the collision ALWAYS loses.  Your FE can see a collision at any speed.

Here is a sortie I had once:
In a 109G-10 I fought and killed a bomber and a fighter, used up a lot of ammo.  I was close to an enemy base so I went in and de-acked it.  A guy spawned so I vulched him... out of ammo.   He spawned again, so I decided to see if I could get him to collide with my plane on his FE.  I cut in front of him, one wing low as he was rolling for take-off.  He blew up.  Then more planes started spawning, I got 4 more "kills" with this method before they shot me down.  
That's 5 kills, unarmed, by flying in front of them (as seen on my FE).  Each time, I was the faster plane.  Each time my FE saw me fly in front of the enemy plane.  Each time the enemy plane's FE saw a collision due to the split second lag.

And no, I don't think I could repeat that sortie again even if I tried it 1,000 times (even just the collision part).

eskimo

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
VERY good point Eskimo
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2002, 11:54:48 AM »
SALUTE Eskimo - very good point. I will definately have to try this out in some kind of way, but Eskimo - that is a VERY valid point you made - that's all I have to say lol. SALUTE!

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Is this possible?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2002, 12:03:41 PM »
The part with the slower plane not receiving damage only makes sense when there are crashs detected on both FEs. If you fly in front of them, you're safe anyway. If you flew through them you would have been dead, and they probably alive.

(if the theorie of the faster ac that dies is correct).

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
Is this possible?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2002, 12:40:43 PM »
Anyone trying Humble's idea has got guts in my book!!
 With my luck the guy would come back see me trying to line up in front of him, and spill his beer grabbing the trigger for the easy kill...:)

Originally posted by humble
Based on my understanding of the damage modeling you'd need to get in front of the other guy...guess you need to be pretty sure he's AFK:)...then slow down so he runs into you. The damage model is based entirely on each players own "FE" so the bogie will detect a collision but you won't since it didn't happen according to your FE.