Author Topic: Idea For "Score Contest" - Fighter Rank  (Read 298 times)

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.3-jg2.com
Idea For "Score Contest" - Fighter Rank
« on: December 17, 2002, 05:52:39 AM »
If a kill occurs within 1 minute of a plane taking off, don't count the kill towards the killer's fighter rank. In other words, don't count vulchs towards fighter rank. Might see some big changes in the top 15....

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 02:42:52 PM »
punt...would really like to see this...would give us a slightly better indication of the real, "#1."

Offline StracCop

• Copper Member
      • http://www.digitaldioramas.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 04:22:58 PM »
Great idea!

That would sure prove illuminating wouldn't it?
Expect the vulchmasters to whine about this idea...ad nauseum!

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 04:32:08 PM »
Expect the vulchmasters to whine about this idea...ad nauseum!

Which is exactly the reason none of em' are posting to this idea ;)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 04:34:43 PM »
If this were to be implemented only real team players would vulch.

team player here (I just wanna kill)

;)

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 04:52:20 PM »
Everyone likes a good vulchfest once and a while....but just don't think it should count to score because there is really no, "skill," in vulching.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 04:58:55 PM »
I agree fully.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 05:00:27 PM »
Just for the record my fighter score would not change one bit. Nearly all of the kills I have in fighter category were scored within one minute of my having launched and the rest are buffs at 20-25k.

Points are a good indication of who the vultchers are as fighters yeild fewer points then buffs. Very few people are dweeby enough to defend a field with a buff so it is unlikely that many buffs are vultched in one sortie.

Attack is the category that would most suffer from this change. At least in my case I tend to damage the town and then kill anything that comes up while I wait on the goon to arrive.

It is my opinion that this is just a case of Heinkel trying to modify the rules to suit his flying style. Well Heinkel vultching is the creme de'la creme of fighter kills so get used to it.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 05:07:22 PM »
Originally posted by Heinkel
punt...would really like to see this...would give us a slightly better indication of the real, "#1."

...second accounts still would skew numbers.

Maybe an official "Duel Ladder" would be a better Idea.... even for the current cash prize contest.

Offline Heinkel

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2002, 05:17:05 PM »
It is my opinion that this is just a case of Heinkel trying to modify the rules to suit his flying style.

Sorry....I like real A2A combat...thought that was what this game is about :rolleyes: I laugh at the people who only up when they have an extream advantage, or when there is a vulchfest near-by....AH must be no fun to them.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 05:22:52 PM »
Everyone likes a good vulchfest once and a while....but just don't think it should count to score because there is really no, "skill," in vulching.

How long can you, all by yourself, keep 2 guys from getting airborne and offensive at an ack-down base?

Can a newbie hold a vulch pattern as long as an old pro?
Why not?

Vulching CAN require good energy managment and gunnery.

I'm not saying that vulching can have too much of an impact on player's scores, but vulching does have it's own set of skills.  Some of those skills are, or can be, related to what is generally percieved as being good fighter skills.

eskimo

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 06:09:43 PM »
Sorry....I like real A2A combat...thought that was what this game is about :rolleyes: I laugh at the people who only up when they have an extream advantage, or when there is a vulchfest near-by....AH must be no fun to them.

And you think you are the only one? The point is the game was designed away from the old Net Duel stuff. I did that for a long time and yes it got boring. Thank god we have other ways to break up the monotony.

If HT does as you suggest then fields will not be suppressed and there will be fewer captures that are succesful. Maps will stagnate and on and on...

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 06:17:07 PM »
Vulching IS a skilled artform.

Fighting through the pack, beating the other hordes to nail that lone Niki rolling... theres nothing quite as intense as racing your countrymen to the kill!

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2002, 06:34:21 PM »
I'm sorry this is wrong.

It should be the other way around.  ONLY kills scored within the first minute of takeoff should be scored.  The vulchers are the people doing the work to win the map for thier team, screw those furballlers flying around just to get themselves a kill.

Those who help thier team should be rewarded, those who don't shouldnt be.