Author Topic: Aces High Video capture - Ideas?? HT?  (Read 209 times)

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
Aces High Video capture - Ideas?? HT?
« on: January 04, 2002, 06:45:00 PM »
I've received a ton of REALLY good recorder footage from Big Week last December.  I intend to compile some of the best stuff into a video (5-7 minutes) and post it for other participants to see.  However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to export video into a digital format so I can edit it in Adobe Premiere.

My ideas right now include:
-Find a digital recorder with an RCA, S-video or 15-pin in port and record directly (too expensive for my budget)
-Go RCA out to a VCR then use a digital capture with my TV card on playback.  (Complicated and may lose a lot of quality)
-Find some software that will record the monitor output to some kind of avi/mpeg.

I intend to use this video in the Big Week exit brief to show the generals how the Air Force cadet squadron is using it as a training tool so I'd like to keep the quality.

Any suggestions?

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
I've been trying to capture from my GF2 MX-400 composite video out to VCR but don't get anything on tape.    :confused:

If you figure out how to do it please let me know, I'm pretty good with editing and processing video when I have source material to work with.

Check out Virtual Dub for capturing & editing AVI format, it's freeware and IMO is easier to use and more versatile than Adobe Premiere, CyberLink PowerVCR, or any other editing software I've tried.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: weazel ]

Offline DES

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2002, 10:31:00 PM »

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2002, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks DES.

Sadly, it doesn't want to work with hardware acceleration and I need that to run AH.  I may still use it but I'm going to keep looking.

Thanks again

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2002, 11:34:00 PM »
The only practical way is with the VCR gig with a good video out/in video card. Take my word for it.
And it's best to record only live action as it happens, as trying to record AH film is herky jerky and minus a lot of the features of live flying....

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2002, 11:36:00 PM »
and camtasia is a good editor too.  :)

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2002, 06:57:00 AM »
I've been doing some in-game recording for work (gaming website) and it has given me no problems whatsoever:

Connect the S-Video output of the 3D card (mine is a Creative GeForce 3) to the RCA input of the capture card (if you want it digitized) or to a normal VCR. The only thing that you have to check is that the output format of the analog signal is compatible with your VCR (NSTC or PAL). Do some testing with the output signal parameters and you should be ok.

Then there's the black border around the image when digitizing it again (if you capture at 320x240) but any good video editors such as Ulead MediaStudio 6.0 or RealProducer G2 can crop it.

Best of lucks, I'll post an AH video in very good quality if you are interested.

Daniel, aka Cyrano

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2002, 07:04:00 AM »
"I'll post an AH video in very good quality if you are interested."

Always.....

Hblair, isn't it time you did a Spit movie, you incorrigable luftwobble?  :)

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2002, 10:18:00 AM »
Ok coming... I'm going out tonight and tomorrow for the most part (The three kings and all the xmas stuff here in Spain), so I'll probably post it by tomorrow evening (GMT) or Monday morning.

320x240, divx.

BTW, if you have an AH film that you want me to convert into this avi, send it to me (danig@terra.es).

Daniel, aka Cyrano

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2002, 10:46:00 AM »
hey seeker...he's got a p38 movie commin out if he ever decides to finish it

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »
Hblair, why don't you re-post that movie you made about 1.2 years ago?. That was done w/ the video outport.

I looked for software and the right cdac around the same time. Nojoy making it work w/ software alone.
10Bears

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2002, 02:18:00 PM »
Hblair, why don't you re-post that movie you made about 1.2 years ago?. That was done w/ the video outport.

I looked for software and the right cdac around the same time. Nojoy making it work w/ software alone.
10Bears

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2002, 03:07:00 PM »
Here are some ways, I guess:
Get two computers with ViVo cards (like my radeon here).  Enable video out on one computer and run the AH films in 640x480 (if you can do it at a higher resolution and the video out will work, do so).
Enable video in on the other and set it to record at max resolution.
Bang! you've got yourself a recording.

Alternatively, some of the pros I've heard from set up a video camera (reasonably sync'd) focused on the monitor.  If you've got good hardware, that may even be better, since you'll capture the motion and more of the depth of the image.