Author Topic: Boston Bombing Angle  (Read 236 times)

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Boston Bombing Angle
« on: January 24, 2003, 02:44:13 PM »
I'm reading a book called Blenheim Strike, by Theo Boiten.  For them as don't know, the Blenheims spent most of 1941 making very low-alt attacks on German coastal convoys.  They'd come in right on the water and drop their bombs as they pulled up to clear the masts, basically hurling them or skipping them into the ship's side.  These Blenheim attacks nearly always suffered staggering losses, very few crews surviving even 4 missions.

Towards the end of 1941, the Blenheims began to be replaced by Bostons.  It is in this context that I came across the quote below.  It points out an apparent real-world limit on dropping bombs, at least in the Boston, that AH doesn't at present model.  I present it FWIW.  It's anecdotal evidence, but given the circumstances this guy was in at the time, I doubt he made this up.  Make of it what you will.  But for whatever reason, the Bostons weren't used for anti-shipping attacks as the Blenheims had been.

When we got the Bostons, we were in seventh heaven.  With their much higher airspeed on the attack (330 mph at maximum power for three minutes) and greater maneuverability, we began to feel that we were surely going to have a higher survival rate among the flight crews, particularly with respect to attacking convoys where our losses in Blenheims ran just over an average rate of one-third for each attack.  The Blenheim had adapted well, but it could not compare to the Boston.  Maximum speed of the Blenheim was 260 indicated airspeed, and it was generally a sloppy aircraft to fly by comparison to the Boston.

While everyone hated the shipping sweeps on account of our high losses, we resolved that we were going to be much happier flying the Bostons.  But after the squadrons (226, 88, and 107) had had the aircraft for a few weeks and the Blenheims were long gone, a very important discovery was made at Central Test and Development Unit that sent all 2 Group aircrew into celebrations.  It was discovered that the Boston had one fatal flaw during shipping attacks:  the bombs could not be released when the fore and aft axis of the aircraft was more than 4 degrees above the horizontal.  And, best of all, there was no modification that could be incorporated into the bomb-carrying and release systems that would make it otherwise.  It was concluded that the Bostons would be sitting ducks, having to make an almost level, long run-in on a convoy at an altitude of nearly 100 feet above the water.  So, we would attack no more convoys, and there was much jubilation about this.

But, our jubilation might have been a bit too soon, because almost immediately rumours (someones idea of a joke?) started that we were going to give up the Bostons and go back to the Blenheims.  I never heard that the rumour was denied, so we got nervous again.  Anyhow, the rumour faded over the horizon into the land of impossibility, and everyone forgot about it, and we would see no more coastal convoys.  The rumour had made sense while it circulated because the Blenheim could release its bombs in a very nose high position, which was necessary when releasing the bombs in an attack on a ship (to clear the top of the rigging of the ship while almost simultaneously releasing the bombs).  So the Boston as a ship killer died on the vine.  After the Boston struck out and flunked completely as a replacement for the Blenheim on shipping sweeps, attacking convoys became the almost exclusive domain of RAF Coastal Command, and we on 226 Squadron were very happy about that.

By Pilot Officer Bill O'Connell, 226 Squadon, one of the very few who survived much of this sort of work.  It's on pages 204-5 of Blenheim Strike

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Boston Bombing Angle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 03:11:49 PM »
what's a good speed to calibrate and drop bombs? cause I almost always miss, and if it's a dive-bomber: why has it a bomb-aim then??

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Boston Bombing Angle
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 03:37:52 PM »
Originally posted by frank3
what's a good speed to calibrate and drop bombs? cause I almost always miss, and if it's a dive-bomber: why has it a bomb-aim then??

I fly the A-20G a lot in the MA as my Jabo of choice. Times I've flown the Boston my A-20 bombing technique worked just fine. Here's what I do:

FYI I developed this by using the training sight offline until I came up with something that worked consistently.

I use the little post on the windscreen (the thing under the gun sight) as my bombing sight. I've found that about a 40 degree dive at 325mph with the intended target steadied at the tip of that post almost fool proof. Drop at about 1500 feet. Bingo.

325 is the number you want to drop at. If you're a little slower the impact point will be lower on the post, likewise if you're a lil faster. Don't let your speed get into the 400mph range as you likely won't be able to pull out w/o ripping the wings off.

I've found that if I'm more than about 4K above the target I tend to gain more speed than I'd like in my dives even with engines chopped, so 4K+GL is plenty. In NOE raids pop up to about 3K with some room to accelerate before dropping in.

The Havoc is a very stable and accurate low level bomber. Before I started flying it I couldn't hardly hit the ground with a bomb. Now I can hit moving GVs with it fairly consistently. Its what I fly when in mud-mover mode.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Boston Bombing Angle
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 03:57:45 PM »
They were used pretty effectively for skip bombing in the Pacific. I wonder what the difference was? A refined technique perhaps? They did clip masts from time to time.

Charon

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Boston Bombing Angle
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 04:04:04 PM »
Had no idea they flew so low.  Just saw this on Ebay today.

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Boston Bombing Angle
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 10:41:07 PM »
Charon said:
They were used pretty effectively for skip bombing in the Pacific. I wonder what the difference was? A refined technique perhaps? They did clip masts from time to time.

I dunno.  But most of the pics I see of this species from the PTO are of the late A20G variety.  This seems to have been a significant redesign from the original type so perhaps it had a new type of bomb rack, to go with the new nose, tail, and rear turret?  I really don't know much about this plane, or if it really did much skip bombing.

I have a book called Warpath Across the Pacific that's about a B25 group.  These guys did beaucoup skip bombing and the book is full of great combat photos taken by the strike camera pointing back under the fuselage.  Anyway, sometimes A20s were involved on the same targets and the photos show them much higher than the B25s, both against ships and ground targets.  So maybe the A20G had the same problem.  I just don't know.

Mikey1992 said:
Had no idea they flew so low

I didn't either.  But Blenheim Strike has some amazing combat photos taken by the 3rd guy in the crew, the observer.  That was pretty much his job in action.  Anyway, these show the Blenheims right down on the water so their props are nearly touching.  Also shows some poor bastards spiraling in after loosing wings on masts.