Author Topic: BnZ in P-47 D30  (Read 483 times)

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
BnZ in P-47 D30
« on: January 28, 2003, 02:21:34 PM »
I am pretty new to the game.  Used to play a lot of AW, RR however!

I have been trying to learn in the above described plane.  I have noticed that when I go tearing into a furball at 400 plus, I cant really get off a good shot.  When I slow down to about 300, I die from an LA7, P51, etc.

My technique so far has been to dive in about 4k out and level off and then pick a target.  When I get to about 700 yds out, they of course do some kind of violent jink.  I find myself unable to correct at high speed to get off an accurate shot.  But, if zoom out to about a 2k and loop up to kill some speed and return at around 300, I get jumped and die.

One note, my frame rate is under 10 when I get to furball, usually 4-7, I suppose this may have something to do with it.  Have old system right now, getting a new one.  But have to deal with antiquated 4mb video card, 64mb ram and 333mhz processor till I get the new one in a week or so.

When you do this kind of attack, is it normal to have to make several high speed passes to get one that ends up working, am I just doing it wrong?

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
BnZ in P-47 D30
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 03:54:35 PM »
Treat the AH P-46D-30 like you would have flown the AirWarrior FW-190A-8.    Set your attack path up so you won't get jumped on the egress.      

If you find you need a bit more speed, the F4U-1D has most of the positive attributes of the P-47 and is a fair amount faster at normal arena altitudes.

J_A_B

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
BnZ in P-47 D30
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 11:21:11 AM »
also a new PC will do wonders. learn the view system with your hat on your Joystick. SA is super important to survive a furball.

oh well my 2¢
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
BnZ in P-47 D30
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 08:57:33 PM »
If I were you I'd switch to the P-51 or the FW D-9 until you get 2-3 kills in those before you die on a regular basis. They are both a little easier to learn and get snap-shots in. Also they are faster and hold E better than the jug and you can get away much easier. my $.02.

Offline Boozer

• Copper Member
BnZ in P-47 D30
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 12:40:35 PM »
yeah it's not a kid's plane :)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
BnZ in P-47 D30
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 01:16:05 PM »
P-47's in general are also better planes when fought light.  Don't load up tonne of fuel, bombs, rockets, etc.  Even the 8 gun, heavy ammo, load tends to make the plane feel rather porky.  If you can, take 50% internal fuel, a drop tank, and 8 guns with the lighter ammo load.  Typically this is lots and your situation will have deteriorated to the point where it is time to leave before you are out of ammo or fuel.  The P-47D11 with light ammo 8 gun loadout is a surprisingly good turner, a hidden gem.

The P47 is not a great turn-fighter when compared to the waves of Spitfires you are likely to encounter, so try to stay fast.  It's tough to hit anything with framerates that low too.  You may consider trying to improve framerates a bit if you have the $$ means to do so.  Anything under about 10-12 makes for a very difficult shooting situation.  Don't judge the game based on a marginal level of computer performance.

-Soda
AH Trainer
The Assassins.