Author Topic: Question: Re-arm pads?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Question: Re-arm pads?
« on: January 30, 2003, 03:55:35 PM »
Will re-arm pads be removed from the game for ToD? I would expect yes, so players have to fly within the confines of thier elected mission, and not go off to who knows where once their initial job is done.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 04:05:29 PM »
I just had a bad image of missions that require refueling at a base. :eek: What if it's left open ended (refuel and rearm selector in the mission parameter)? I guess options aren't bad as long as they're optional.;)

Something really scary would be realistic vehicle repair or pilot wound recovery. :eek:

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Question: Re-arm pads?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 10:43:03 AM »
Originally posted by Midnight
Will re-arm pads be removed from the game for ToD? I would expect yes, so players have to fly within the confines of thier elected mission, and not go off to who knows where once their initial job is done.

Thing I dont like about re arm pads is the current ability to fully refuel / re arm regardless of the fields general condition........
Ludere Vincere

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 11:12:19 AM »
Agreed, Tilt.

If you took off with 100% fuel, and field was porked while you were gone, you should only be able to add 25%, 50%, or 75% fuel to what you have left in your tanks.

Same goes for ordinance, troops, etc.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 07:37:11 PM »
"If you took off with 100% fuel, and field was porked while you were gone, you should only be able to add 25%, 50%, or 75% fuel to what you have left in your tanks."

But then some bright spark would realise that once you received your 25% fuel, you need only move forward an inch to receive your next 25%, and so on and so forth until full tanks. So this would have to be figured into the game. Like you have to move a certain distance/time from the pad to eligible for another reload.;)
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 08:24:07 PM »
Does that work? That don't work. lol

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2003, 09:44:22 PM »
Well to me a perfect example would be to take a page out the USMC and USN flight operations from the Rabaul area in 1943-1944.

Quite a few times the land based squadrons of fighters (both USN and USMC) would take off and refuel enroute on CV's operating inside of a striking distance from the target. Typically this was used as an airborne refuel would be today.

There are references to various squadrons doing this exact sort of mission refuel before and after they cleared out of the combat area in order to make it there then make it back to home base.

For the upcoming ToD setup. I would like to think that allowing aircraft to only refuel at preset airfields and carriers might be something the generated mission could/would handle on its own. Think about it like this possible scenario. If HTC wants to re-create an immersive enviroment for "combat pilots" then we would have to not only land but navigate in the following way; home--->CV--->target area--->CV--->home. Not only would this be immersive in my opinion but it also increases the prospect that you will not finish the mission without dying or crashing while landing your plane on a postage stamp in the middle of the ocean. Therefore you might not finish the mission and get the points, but on the other hand it would force ME to practice my carrier landings every time I got online in order to be good enough to not botch the landing.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2003, 10:26:44 PM »
Hehe .... dedicated Jolly Rogers already do that for fun. ;0)