Author Topic: Side Balancing in ToD  (Read 134 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Side Balancing in ToD
« on: March 05, 2003, 06:54:50 AM »
I've just been wondering how this will be handled.   Its been proven to me over and over again that the vast majority of players want to fly Allied.   There are a number of good sports who'll switch and attempt to balance sides, but it always seems to be a challenge to get even numbers, unless the Axis are given uber planes.   When you introduce AI-scripted missions and AI filled-out formations, there may be less incentive for the human players to try to balance sides.

Given that, when we log in to ToD, is it just going to be 80-90%  human players on the Allied side flying against a primarily AI-manned Luftwaffe?     If the Luftwaffe is primarily AI, and if there will be no AI fighter planes- only bombers and vehicles, how will the Luftwaffe be able to oppose Allied bomber formations with fighters?

Also, I understand successful missions will raise participant's ranks, etc, but will they alter the course of the war?   That is, will the campaign have different "branches" or outcomes depending on the success or failure of preceeding missions?   Will the front lines change position during the course of the campaign, or will the campaign remain static, with a random mixture of mission types and targets for a certain time period?

Thanks, and my apologies if these Q's have been asked before!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2003, 09:00:27 AM by oboe »

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Side Balancing in ToD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 09:11:41 AM »
AI bombers and gvs no fighter ai

Not all missions will involve killing another human opponent.

Numbers can be balanced by setting a reasonable limit on the mission size.

As a pilot looking to survive your sortie you will have to decide when to enagae and when to disengage. If its apparent you are out numbered then you may think twice about engaging the enemy unless you have a clear advantage.

The way I read it is you most "live" first  then complete your mission. The missions themselves are meaningless unless you live. A successful mission will allow you to advance but a death sets you much further back then the 1 mission pushes you forward.

Ofcourse more folks will be inclined to fly allied planes. Ofcourse the axis will be outnumbered but it should be manageable.

The one way Axis pilots can handle the numbers is to fly together as much as possible. I dont think the "lonewolf" would have that much success.

As for the course of the "war" its not clear how "dynamic" the missions will be. But I dont think its all that important as long as there is a decent variety of missions.