Author Topic: Important statement regarding v1.04  (Read 273 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Important statement regarding v1.04
« on: September 11, 2000, 02:26:00 PM »
Pyro Quoteth:
"There has been such a large volume of work done in this area that we do anticipate having some idiosyncracies show up on different planes that will need fixing."
=====
Let us begin with a prayer:
Lord, please be nice to Pyro and HiTech and *the crew*.....we wish them only the best as they begin fixing the ""idiosyncracies"" and hope that things get lined up quickly.
=====
Ok, all ribbing aside, v1.04 has lots of promise and has addressed many issues regarding energy retention in BFM/ACM.
Unfortunately we do seem to have ""some"" of those idiosyncracies nagging us directly in the forehead.

My list would include:
1) Torque, or lack of!
2) Prop Drag, is it there? (was it ever?)
3) High AOA sustained, energy retention is good but have we eaten a little too much wheaties?
4) Rudder Yaw  - slow and low in spit spun a complete flat circle....Im confused now :O
5)  Guys, I dont really have a technical grasp on aerrodynamics but Im not sure if I like this release or not?  Im confused, are we shooting for AW/FA stuff here?

Lots of other stuff...........

Yeager

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »
 Some planes can fly on the side a bit too well, including steady climbs at a decent rate. That may be linked with too little apparent slowdown when slipping/skidding.

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2000, 04:29:00 PM »
Definately Yaw characteristics are off or have been tampered with. The Ensign Eliminator is no longer. Haven't flown anything but P38, F4U and Tiffie so far, but the Tiffie is even fairly tame on take off. Either yaw characteristics were overmodelled before, or they have introduced a sort of Easymode in order to attract more customers (I sure hope the latter is not true!). Something else, it sure is hard as hell to slip and reduce speed for a landing. Even the light Cessna's 150's and 152's sink like a rock when slipped in, they only float in ground effect. I wonder if this has something to do with the new E retention? When you present a plane sideways in the air in relation to the direction of travel with no power, there sure is a lot of drag present and the a/c should slow down real fast and practically fall out of the sky. Please fix HTC.

ts

funked

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
As far as energy retention (also known as drag), I did a 100% fuel WEP sustained turn test in the Spit IX.  I didn't note the turn rate but I got about 3.1 g.  The Soviet NII-VVS did the same test and got 3.2 g.  AH 1.03 was around 2 g.  That's only one data point for one plane but it sure looks like 1.04 is an improvement over 1.03 in this regard.

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
Yep Funked,

The sustained turning speed of a Spit IX should be around 180 mph, according to the late Mark Hanna, may he rest in peace!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
Patch coming tommorow.  

-Westy

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2000, 06:53:00 PM »
I guess I'm a bit different than most, I always trim full up when taking off so it disables CT. I still feel torque on takeoff the same as I did before the release. Could it be some are taking off with CT enabled?

------------------
MarkAT

"It is not the critic who counts,
it is the man in the arena..."
Teddy Roosevelt
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2000, 07:45:00 PM »
I'm a little concerned none of the patch notes addressed the falling sky.  Hopefully it just didn't make that list and will be in the readme, but if it does not, will valleys and other low lying areas provide shelter as the sky lands on the surrounding hills?

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2000, 08:08:00 PM »
LOL  

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2000, 08:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by Mark Luper:
I guess I'm a bit different than most, I always trim full up when taking off so it disables CT. I still feel torque on takeoff the same as I did before the release. Could it be some are taking off with CT enabled?

Try a take off in the AH Spitfire, and then compare that to what real pilots said about the real plane(cue link from funked ) - virtually full aileron and rudder was needed to keep it on the runway.

In the early beta versions of AH the Spitfire was like that, but each successive version seems to have gotten easier and easier on take off.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2000, 11:21:00 PM »
I helped a new pilot in the TA the other day. He was trying to take off in the spit IX.
At first he was just swerving off the runway and crashing.  Once we got the understanding of torque across he was moving down the runway just fine.  He was trying a neutral trim takeoff.  After adding some rudder trim he went fairly straight down the runway but upon rotation he dropped the left wing and crashed. It took quite a bit of R aileron trim to counter this.  After half hour of practice he still wasn't getting off the ground well.  He wasn't mad by any means but determined not to use auto takeoff.  He is a real life pilot.  I think the torque is still there. We just may not notice it as much.
The ensign eliminator was because pilots at the time weren't used to the torque at all. There are many planes in this game that generate much more torque than the hog will. Not many of them were flown from a carrier though   From reading by late war there wasn't near the problem from the hog even tho HP had been upped and a better prop added.   Pilots were more used to the large torque created by all planes not just a new plane.
  Come watch a brand new pilot take off and judge the torque created by these planes.  

By no means am I saying there isn't a difference or if it is right or not I am just stating what I have seen  

S!
Rocket

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2000, 11:35:00 PM »
Takeoff procedure for A8/A5.

Engange engine, go full throttle, engage wep.

Touch rudder right lightly two or three times.

Rotate.

Simpler than it ever has been, no noticeable torque.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2000, 12:00:00 AM »
The lack of pull is really noticable in a fully loaded F4U or P47 taking off full throttle vs what it was before.  No idea if it's accurate now or was then, but there is definately much less now.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2000, 05:44:00 AM »
Juzz,
You are right about the early planes, I did some Alpha testing in this game and if you think the early beta versions were hard you should have tried some of the alpha versions. They toned it down a lot before it went to beta. I remember spending a whole afternoon doing nothing but practicing take-offs and landings in the spit and 109. Even the 51 was a bit of a bear though much more manageable.

------------------
MarkAT

"It is not the critic who counts,
it is the man in the arena..."
Teddy Roosevelt
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2000, 08:31:00 AM »
The Typhoon is a popsiclecat to take off in now, hardly any torque at all. What a shame. I felt a sense of accomplishment just being able to take off in that beast before 1.04.