Author Topic: Eeeeeeeek N1K still insta-flip, Royal Commission needed!!!!  (Read 401 times)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
Eeeeeeeek N1K still insta-flip, Royal Commission needed!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2001, 02:01:00 AM »
Good heavens.  Surely it is not possible that a N1K is a light aircraft with a lot of horsepower!!!!!

Hooligan

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by SKurj:
The volume level in the MA these days seems to suggest that the N1K is more acceptable, though that could just be that they aren't common due to all the other cool alternatives.

Hurricane IIc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Hurricane IIC.  It's the other white meat!   :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2001, 03:12:00 AM »
I can't tell any difference in the N1K below 10k.  However, it took a big hit in its climb from 10k to 15k.  The difference in the 1.07 and 1.08 N1K is 20 seconds in climbing from 10k to 15k.

AKcurly

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2001, 08:35:00 PM »
Hazed, I was in Hurricane when I changed my mind about the N1K too.  Maybe its not the N1K that has changed then, could be that the N1K now has a disadvantage in TnB and firepower vs the Hurri.  In any case, this is a terrific change for the better imo.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
Yep it's still the same, some of ya still don't know a lead turn from a hole in your head.   :)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2001, 11:24:00 PM »
A dweeby machine was and a dweeby machine is  :) whats the problem?
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2001, 01:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup:
Yep it's still the same, some of ya still don't know a lead turn from a hole in your head.    :)

lol funked.  Preach on, brother!    :p

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
"...The difference in the 1.07 and 1.08 N1K is 20 seconds in climbing from 10k to 15k...".

You didn't actually do some testing did you?  How dare you bring real data into this whin...err..discussion.   :)

bowser

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
well... I shouldn't say this but..  I out turned 2 niks that were in flat turns with me (on the deck) for several complete turns.  I was on them so it was a little easier for me.   One died because I was able to finallly get enough lead on him and the other died because he stalled out and paniced....  I was in a -1 birdcage hog.
lazs

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
The birdcage hog is overmodelled!  Burn the witch!!!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
I like the Hurri IIc.  You can put 2000lbs under the wings, so it makes a decent little JABO plane than can turn well.  First sortie in her, I dropped a VH with the eggs, pulled up, dropped in to clear the 6 of a countrymate (got a ping from ack in the process, leaking oil now), broke off and latched onto a Spit IX.  He locked into a left turn, I pulled up and followed him a bit, then cut into his turn, and sawed off his wing with the 20's.  Avoided a fast 109 by breaking left, then rolling back right, but he was already 400yds off so no snapshot.  Engine finally seized up, and someone got me.  Was a fun flight tho!  

Haven't noticed Georges being that much different, killed 1, got killed by 1 (I was target fixated.)

Best fun in 1.08 was a little JABO mission I had in Hurri IIc.  I wanted to check out a depot.  Dropped the eggs on it, watched some buildings go boom, then ran (in a Hurri???  ha!) for home.  Well, a 109 spots me, and starts playing with me.  I avoid him pretty easily, hoping eventually he'll get bored and leave me or turn with me.  No such luck as another 109 comes in.  They've got it timed pretty well, I'm 99.9% defensive, only getting off one front quarter shot on one in the first 10 or so passes.  I finally get a good look at one, but I lose him in the ground (he went into the ground on my FE, that's always nice) so I assumed an auger, and rolled to evade the next one.  Do a quick turn and meet him near head on, he gets a cannon and a flap, I get a lot of him.  Roll to the right check 6, and pull hard as a see the other 109 behind me.  Apparently he didn't auger, and he gets a nice bit of wing.  I go down.  I was going to berate myself for letting some 109 driver shoot me down, but it was hblair, and I never feel bad losing to him!   ;)  1 Hurri IIc vs 2 109G10s.  Was a blast!   :)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
F4U-1  is great if you can deal with the lack of artifical horizon (for now)..

nothing like running up someones arse at 500+ mph blazing 6x50s!

Zygote

are you sure that he didnt start the turn while you were trying HO him? he may have been half way through it before you passed him, happens a lot with that those quick turning planes.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2001, 06:37:00 AM »
thats quite possible Aamon, maybe.  I've been flying the N1K post 1.08 and its different from pre 1.08.  I used to fly the N1K and dogfight 3 sometimes 4 to 1 and I could stick to a con and switch to another easily without getting killed for ages.  I never fired the guns thou, N1K kills not my thing.  Now I'm lucky to survive 30secs in a N1K in a 2 vs 1 and now i'm shooting like crazy.

I even got a 3 kill sortie in N1K pre 1.08 and never fired a shot, 2 guys augered trying to shake me and the other was a Sturmovik who bailed as soon as he saw me.

Now what am I gonna whinge about?

:D