Author Topic: gunnery skills  (Read 964 times)

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
gunnery skills
« on: February 04, 2003, 09:13:16 AM »
I seem to have a very hard time getting in hits in the training arena.  I was behind a guy last night that was just trying to land, wasn't even evading and I could barely ping him, how pathetic.  How much of this is due to lower lethality in TA?

When I get behind someone and come up on them, the nose of my plane bounces all arround.  I have an X45, joystick which is very stiff.

Beyond that, I just need someone to give me some lessons in the TA.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 09:32:05 AM »
You may want to play around with deadzones and stick scaling in the joystick setup.  Adjust them so that moving your stick a little bit has the effect you want on what is read(The box witht he + in it)

Wiggling the stick, without actually moving it should produce no movement, increase the deadzone if the + moves when you wiggle the stick around the center.

As for gunnery, well, thats one of the toughest parts of the game.  I remember the first week I flew, wondering how the hell people manage to hit stuff.  The "trick" is simply to practice at it.  A good way to practice at the beginning it to shoot down the drones offline from various angles.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 09:39:08 AM »
Lower lethality in the TA in no way affects your ability to hit

SKurj

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 09:44:04 AM »
if you hit someone you will see hit sprites on the plane your shooting at, as Innominate suggested go offline and shoot down the drones for a bit try different angles of attack etc

And a good tip is dont pull the trigger untell you are at least d300 away from nme,

So get good at flying and learn your ACM so that you can get real close to the nme as you cant miss something filling your windshield :D

Another tip is use the

.target xxx

command, this will make a target appear to the north at a set distance, so if you type:

.target 500

a target will appear d500 away to the north, .target 0  to make it go away.

with this you will be able to see how much the bullets drop over distance, so that you willl be able to aim better to allow for the tragectories of the differing types of ammo that the planes carry, ie 30mm cannon drops off very quick so you need to aim higher, 50 cal mg has a very flay tragectory so drop off isn't so much of an issue.

hope helps a bit

:):)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Re: gunnery skills
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 03:40:40 PM »
Originally posted by najdorf
I just need someone to give me some lessons in the TA.

AcesHigh Training Corps is here for you...  Click my emailto button at the bottom, I'll help you.  My schedule allows me from 8 to 11 PM CST most days... If that doesn't work out, drop a line to your Aces High Trainers and see if one of the other trainers can better meet your time needs.

Whatever you do, try not to get frustrated - Aces High takes time to learn, and has a very steep learning curve.

CYasUp!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
gunnery skills
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 06:52:44 PM »
One of the best things I did was to turn off my tracers in an attempt to help improve my gunnery skills.  It forced me to lose my old AW habits and learn how to properly lead the target to get him in my bullet stream.  

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
gunnery skills
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 07:00:10 PM »
Make sure you consider the range of the engagement also.  While it is possible to land hits at > D650, the amount of lead and drop you need to calculate into your shot at those ranges tends to be very large on some planes.  You should be trying to set up shooting ranges more in the D250-D400 range to simplify the aiming process.  Any shot longer than about D400 for a newer pilot is going to be pretty tough, especially if you are dealing with any type of deflection or manuevering yourself (even if the target isn't).

-Soda
AH Trainer Corp
The Assassins.

Offline Maniacal81st

• Zinc Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 07:19:48 AM »
Najdorf,

I had the same problem with my stick bouncing viciously.  After some investigation, I found that somehow, my settings for force feedback were turned on in the joystick settings of the game.  ( I don't have a FF joystick) I disabled all forces, and VOILA!! no more bouncing!!  

Hope this helps!!

<> Capt. MaNiaCaL

~*81st*~ Krewsaderz

ROOKS!!!!

Offline Maniacal81st

• Zinc Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 07:25:17 AM »
Najdorf,

I had the same problem with my stick bouncing viciously.  After some investigation, I found that somehow, my settings for force feedback were turned on in the joystick settings of the game.  ( I don't have a FF joystick) I disabled all forces, and VOILA!! no more bouncing!!  

Hope this helps!!

<> Capt. MaNiaCaL

~*81st*~ Krewsaderz

ROOKS!!!!

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 12:16:20 AM »
This was good info.  I too had the problem of stick bouncing (at the most inappropriate times).  I checked my settings (today) and sure enough, force feed was enabled.  I disabled it (since I do not have Force Feed) and no more stick bounce.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 05:02:18 PM »
Also might pick up a copy of Robert Shaw's book, it has a chapter on air-air weapons, including guns, very helpful info.

Elfie
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 03:40:38 AM »
seems that force feedback is enabled by default,

just went in and disabled it,,,solved my bounce problem that ive been tryin to figure out for months!

THANK YOU! :D
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Mr. ED

• Zinc Member
gunnery skills
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 11:18:49 AM »
najdorf,

I use an X-45. I have no problems with all the stock scaling setings from AH.

Check the FF and the poll interupt settings. Also go into the control panel/settings/joy stick area and make sure all is working well in there.

USB took out at the bounce probs we had with older style analog sticks and slow game ports.

As far as gunnery goes. Get close, get Shaw"s Book!

Mr.ED
327th ACG