Author Topic: Patch 4 after-effects  (Read 500 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« on: March 25, 2003, 02:44:02 PM »
Last week I downloaded V1.11 Patch 4 and installed it.  I have had ZERO problems for the last 4 months with AH except for a process that kept running which I cleared.  Now, after the Patch 4 I have had numerous discos and other problems, but now I can't even get AH to start correctly.  The clipboard will make its approach after I double click the desktop short cut and then the screen will freeze when it is half way to the end, hanging up the computer.  I have re-installed DirX9, cleared any processes that were uneeded and I still have the same problems.  I don't understand how prior to this patch the game ran flawlessly, not a single problem, and now I can't even get it to launch.  Any ideas????
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 03:41:36 PM »
yeah, try this:

look for my post with the attached file.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/foru...&threadid=75839

you may want to try reducing sound acceleration, never hurts to check the easy stuff first.
also perhaps reinstall ur vid card drivers.

could also be a corrupt AH d/l??
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 04:07:18 PM »
Hey Shane, , it looks like it is indeed a bad installation.  I have been to the HTC website and tried to dl the patch again and it appears to be corrupt as well.  BTW, I did install the new vid drivers and double checked the basic stuff.  We'll see how it goes.  The thread you posted is coming up, at least on my end, as being 'not found'.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 04:27:25 PM »
I have also just uninstalled and reinstalled AH and the problem remains.  I don't understand how it could have gone from 100% compatibility with the last update to not working at all now.  Was there a system upgrade requirement with patch 4 or should you still be able to run it on the current computer?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 07:18:48 PM »
you can get to it but you have to jump thru som ehoops due to it's age.

so... i'll just re-post it in toto. this *may* work.  hope it does, but seeing as how you seem not to even get past the splash screen...
----------------------------

it has something to do with terrains IIRC...

one person i know resolved it by putting the file i'm attaching into his settings folder..

curterr.cfg

this might work for you. let me know. of course it needs to be unzipped.

on a side note: have you d/l all the updated terrains from online play? auto d/l should kick in for each updated map when you log in to that particular map for the first time (after 1.11).
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 07:55:47 PM »
Dl'd the zip file, unzipped it, put it in the 'settings' folder and...same problem.  I appreciate the help Shane but I guess a call into Skuzzy is in order now.  I had all of the current terrains prior to the patch 4 download but after the patch 4 download nothing works.  It does cycle through the various displays only it locks up for 20 or 30 seconds on each screen before moving on to the next after I hit 'enter' just to move to the next screen.  All of my other apps work just fine so it obviously is a conflict in my AH folder.  I have to bring up Task Manager just to get out of AH once it has locked up.  Anyway, Skuzzy will be getting a phone call from me on the morrow.  Cheers, mate.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 11:11:26 PM »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 06:55:32 AM »
Try moving your AH "settings" folder to another name and start AH.  It will act like a new install, but it could be something in your settings folder causing it.

Also, might try a re-install of DirectX.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 07:23:54 AM »
Can the settings folder cause lockups?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 08:50:31 AM »
If a file gets corrupted, it is possible.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 09:27:32 AM »
Ok I've tried absolutely everything else. It's worth a go! Just ripped out each ram stick at a time. Park on runway in offline. 1 hour. half an hour. Wham! lockup. Doesnt matter. Clean install of windows, everything.

BUT I do save my settings file and copy it back if I do a clean install of AH.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
ADDENDUM
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 06:10:01 PM »
While I had originally thought this problem was exclusive to AH, it appears to effect other graphic intensive games as well.  Both MS CFS3 and MoH:Spearhead both do the same thing AH does when I launch it, that is they initially start and then freeze.  I have done the video drivers, all the way to the Detonator 43.XX to legacying back to 38.XX, re-installed DirectX 9 and checked for hardware conflicts and application problems in the Event Viewer in Admin Tools.  Any ideas?

Offline ZZ3

• Zinc Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2003, 12:17:27 PM »
Well, sad to report but I am having similar problems since patch to.
I have tried removing RAM sticks, updating drivers, removed AH and reinstalled. But I still get random locks or dumps to desktop.
Prior to patch I wasnt having too much trouble to warrant this posting...
Still trying to see if it has something to do with my system, but I doubt it.

ZZ3

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 02:07:23 AM »
Unless you have a card that is DirectX 9 compliant, try switching back to DirectX 8.1b or 8.2.

You can use DXBuster to uninstall DX9.

ack-ack

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Patch 4 after-effects
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 04:31:12 PM »