Author Topic: Xm29  (Read 458 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Xm29
« on: April 14, 2003, 08:16:34 PM »
Just saw this on Mail Call. I WANT ONE!!!
Scheduled for US deployment in 2008!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Xm29
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »
The 20mm seems cosmic but the .223 doesn't. Time for something with a bit more punch if I was designing it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
Xm29
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 09:08:29 PM »
The .223 gun looks alot like an MP5.  No way that it is more accurate than the current M16.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Xm29
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 11:01:57 PM »
The KE weapon in the XM29 is based on the HK G36, probably the most advanced assault rifle in service.
Plus, the XM29 has a fire control system which gives it ridiculous effectiveness on the battlefield.  You point at what you want to hit, and it figures out where you need to aim.  You aim at the spot it tells you, then pull the trigger, and it will compensate for your movement of the gun and fire the round at the instant you are nearest to the correct aimpoint, and it compensates for recoil.  It pretty much turns every soldier into Vasiliy Zaitsev.

And of course, the HE part of the weapon, the real meat of the program, is even nastier.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 11:06:41 PM by funkedup »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Xm29
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 12:46:41 AM »
From what I understood on the Mail Call segment, the 20mm HE round is also "Smart" knowing from info provided by the laser targeting system when to explode over the target. I'm actually very surprised they are going public with this gun and its advancements.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Xm29
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 01:10:10 AM »
OOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!! I want one...

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Xm29
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 01:18:02 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371
From what I understood on the Mail Call segment, the 20mm HE round is also "Smart" knowing from info provided by the laser targeting system when to explode over the target. I'm actually very surprised they are going public with this gun and its advancements.

Yep that's right, the HE round has a variable time fuze that is set by the fire control system before firing.  It can kill targets in defilade and inside buildings.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
Xm29
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 04:04:18 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
The 20mm seems cosmic but the .223 doesn't. Time for something with a bit more punch if I was designing it.

apparently the lack of punch problem with 5.56x45 has had alot to do with ammunition. first big complaints in combat usage were somalia and the bullet wizards finally decided it had to do with firing ap round at target with no armor and target with half of body mass of intended target. explanation i was given was round was penetrating too well and wounding was start too late because target not wear any armor to speak of. when current standard 5.56x45 used by American forces designed intended target was east bloc infantry with some type light ballistic vest or helmet and target mass of at least 80 kilos. same round hitting somali gunman wearing don ho shirt and weighing in at 60 kilos of skin and bone the round not wounding optimally so enemy going to die but not as fast as youd like. there is better 5.56x45 ammo available its just isnt standard issue. ive used it before comes from a couple of smaller munitions makers. when second wave of guys going into afghanistan alot were looking to shift from m4 and saw to m14 and m60 but alot of that had to do with average range of engagement and better max effective range. funny thing is not nearly as many complain about 5.56x45 in afghanistan in terms of lethality. there was a group of guys with m4 and saw though that had almost perfect nighttime ambush on some hard core bastards but it was at almost max effective range for the 5.56x45 and some of them got away. a couple of the guys who had been 60 gunners in previous deployments were really pissed because they knew if theyd had m60 no one would have escape.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
Xm29
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 04:07:48 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Yep that's right, the HE round has a variable time fuze that is set by the fire control system before firing.  It can kill targets in defilade and inside buildings.

also with goggles plugged into weapon you can shoot around corner or over cover and expose only gun. only drawback is the thing is so damn ugly for a gun. cool guy factor is going to plummet when this thing issued. :)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Xm29
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 08:12:31 AM »
Looks like a Nerf airgun.  Is that a sponge coming out of the 20mm barrel?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Xm29
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 05:03:24 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Looks like a Nerf airgun.  Is that a sponge coming out of the 20mm barrel?

Yeah, It soaks up bad guys!:cool:
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
Xm29
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »
hmm I want one for use in AH :)