Author Topic: TA anything but a TA  (Read 198 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
TA anything but a TA
« on: November 19, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
Upon writing this there were 44 people in the TA.  No more than a handful of them were there for actual training--most who were there either sought to escape night in the MA or wanted a quick furball.  Lately TA usage has consistently numbers 20-30 during peak hours, even during "day" in the MA.  Actual training is somewhat difficult to come by now and frequently interrupted.

The debate as to whether or not AH needs a second arena is over--it DOES have a second arena now.  Unfortunately that wasn't what the TA was really meant for.  I recommend creation of a fairly small map--like the old Beta map--with fairly close bases (no more than 15 miles apart) and no night, to take this load off the TA.

Call the current MA "Large map arena" and the new arena "Small map arena".

J_A_B

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2001, 09:12:00 PM »
Why don't we go the easier route.

"Main Arena" and "Dueling Arena".

Hell, there's a freaking furball island in the dueling arena- get the hell out of the training arena and go find some real fights. Stop trying to club newbies you dweebs!
(not directed at you JAB)
-SW

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B:
The debate as to whether or not AH needs a second arena is over--it DOES have a second arena now.

J_A_B there are 5 arenas in AH atm:

1) Main Arena
2) Combat Theatre
3) Training Arena
4) Duelling Arena
5) Special Events Arena

Is there a way to have killshooter on in the TA except for those actually in there with a trainer?

The FFA dweebs should be moved into an arena other than the TA.  Rename the Duelling Arena to "FFA Arena" or "Top Gun Arena" or some equally dweeby name and they should all go there...

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
Unfortunately, Blue I dont think so.  Unless HT has a way to configure it differently than the CMs do in the SEA.  For us, its either Killshooter on or off...thats it.

My suggestion to those of you in the TA is to contact Lephturn or HTC and report those in the TA that are violating the rules.  The TA is for training, not for furballing.  I can only guess that guys are hitting the TA because of the killshooter thing and I believe the ammo load are higher in there too arent they?

Come on guys, you have a Dueling Arena....use it.  Its got a real nice FFA area on it at fields 41, 42 and 43.   :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2001, 11:25:00 PM »
Actually giving us trainers some teeth wouldn't hurt either. Even if it's just a command to lock someone in the tower for 5 minutes.

Offline Sachs

• Nickel Member
      • http://where?
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2001, 12:15:00 AM »
Hmm already thought we had a TA-152 (shrug)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2001, 12:31:00 AM »
Does Dueling arena have scoring system?
I think if it have, the FFA'ers would go there with big smile on the face.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
I think what is happening is the TA has become a refuge of sorts for many people who are getting clubbed to death in the MA.  IMO it's no mere coincidence there now being a sharp rise in the TA numbers and a dramatic decline in the AW arenas. In the TA at least some of these new folks can beat up on similar less experienced folks.

I think a solution would be for the the TA to be accessable only to trainers, those with under xxxxx amount of points or those enabled by the trainers for the purpose of some advanced teaching by the same trainer.

Westy

Offline SkyKing

• Zinc Member
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
I mentioned in an earlier post that the Training Arena is often the first place new pilots go and it is there that they receive their first impressions of Aces High. I am in the training arena almost every evening and have seen (and helped) the progress of many new pilots. That help comes in different ways and different forms. For the very new, it consists of answering questions about how to select planes and take off, do a chk 6 etc., for others the training involves help in getting the best possible turning performance out of the aircraft. the latter training involves co-alt, lvl, duels.

This dueling when done properly can really help a pilot that sincerely wants to get better as well as help them to become familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of each aircraft.

I guess what I am trying to say is that "traning" comes in more ways than just one on one with a "trainer".

Recently, however, with the new influx of pilots, I have seen a new group of what, for lack of a better word, I will call "Kids" come into the TA.

The real problems occur when these kids sit in field gunners or PT's and shoot down everyone who is taking off. People are constantly asking me "is it always like that in here?" and "why do they do that?". There usually follows a buffer full of name calling and cursing and the always popular "I filmed that!" and "your going to lose your account!"

If HT is really receiving all the films that I have heard people promise to send in, we would need an additional T1 just for that.

In conclusion, I would like to respectfully suggest that HitechCreations, increase the number of trainers, adding to the great guys they already have, and give those trainers the ability to use the .eject command.

I am fully aware that with that power comes the opportunity for abuse, so all new trainers should have a sense of maturity and patience.

Should additional trainers be needed I would be happy to apply myself.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
But there's so many "vets" saying if you want one to one or a furball, you go to the TA...

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
TA anything but a TA
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with going to the TA (IMO), as long as you follow the rules. I prefer the TA because of the ammo load. It allows you to practice lead shots with a new airplane, until you get the hang of it. Everytime I change my convergence I go to the TA to check out the changes.

I don't go to the TA to vultch, club seals, or amass kills. I always check six my opponent and wait for the 'ok' or check six response. I don't always get the same in return. You would be surprised how many people don't want a fight in there. I have on numerous occasions run into guys working out carrier approaches, field attacks, and even simple pattern circuits.

I think the most responsible thing would be for the experienced fliers to move off to a field a little removed from the beginners and only fight beginners under the rules of the arena. In fact, it doesn't hurt to be a target, occasionally.