Author Topic: Something different for Squad Operations in May  (Read 1130 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Something different for Squad Operations in May
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 02:47:34 PM »
No Jug this time. I understand your reasons. :) If there was a 38 I also would have not wanted to switch.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 03:52:49 PM »
While I see the pitfalls of what this sort of suggested setup brings I don't look at it that way. Not everyone always gets the aircraft/side they want and this would be a way to at least accomodate each squadrons request. I would not mind flying a A6M5/Ki-61/Ki-67 if I knew that in the end I would be able to fly any USN ride there is in the scenario. You just have to get your guys interested in sticking with the scenario and not just showing up for your requested rides in those frames then bugging out once you don't have to fly them anymore.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline FBJoker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 04:44:28 PM »
I'm up for something different Count us in

Offline Dugger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 08:51:51 PM »
There are certainly pros and cons to this kind of thing.  I guess I remember a lot of the reasons given back in AW for it.  There, in the scenarios, there was always the gripe (well not always but lots of times) that one side or the other had the better deal in aircraft, situation, assignment (attack or defend).  Truth be told it was true, due to historical considerations.

So the switch meant you had to prove your outfit capable of playing whatever hand you were dealt.

I guess my group always looked at the "mission" as a challenge.  Could we pull it off, given whatever equipment we were handed?  What advantaged did our airframe have and how could we utilize them?  If I want to fly a particular ride I can do that in the main arena all week long.

The CO has the tough job, trying to use his mix of aircraft in a way that takes advantage of their strengths.  Sometimes that is daunting.  Late Pacific warfare always favors the allies since their equipment had surpassed the Japanese by that time.  Late European war is more even but depending on the mix of aircraft in the particular event the allies can end up with a decided advantage there too.

That's however Macro... in the Micro, small unit head to head conflict the tactics can overcome those disadvantages.

Squad Ops is about organization and tactics.  Manage to get 12 of almost any ride jumping 6 of almost anything and the numbers will tell the tale.

Hell, just getting your flight to the right spot, in the right formation, at the right time is a challenge.. LOL

Just my nickel's worth...

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Re: Something different for Squad Operations in May
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2003, 12:33:16 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
Dux mentioned something on the CM BB that I also had been giving some thought to.

Instead of the usual 3 frames for the Squad Operations, how about for the next Friday Squad Operations we try 4 frames, but each squad fly’s American iron for two frames and Japanese Iron for two frames?

Anyone against trying this?

Fine with me, but we should still have a 1 week break between each set of 4 frames.

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: Re: Something different for Squad Operations in May
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2003, 12:38:51 PM »
Originally posted by Montezuma
Fine with me, but we should still have a 1 week break between each set of 4 frames.
It's 4 frames in total, Montezuma, 2 frames each side, and there will definitely be a week break after that - when the KOTH will be held.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2003, 02:55:38 PM »
Flossy is correct.

Also this is just a "trial" run. Not saying anything yet about repeating the 4 frame Squad Operations. This is just a test and then I want to hear from the community. If a large part of the Friday Squad Operations players want it then I will pass the suggestion to ghostdancer and flossy for the final say.

Until then it looks like we will give it a try. I will post on Friday one way or the other. :)
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2003, 05:09:07 PM »
AKs do not oppose at all, although maybe a better idea is to stop asking squads for what side they prefer, and instead assign the squads as you see fit.

There are always going to be disappointed squads, or those that do not get their preference. But hey, for the greater good of Squad Ops, most of us dont care that much ... that is unless you are a weenie like ammo and get all excited about the Peee-47.

:)

Nim

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2003, 07:24:17 PM »
I think the 2 week side swapping is valid for those SO's where there is an overwhelming response to one side. I would not like to see it every time. Also, the record of the swap scerario should reflect who did better on the favored side.
Scenarios are about doing the best with what you have. It has been the stated purpose of any event recreation see what you  could do different compared to the RL event. It also gives an oppurtunity to study history and the reasons things turned out as they did.
Lastly, It is an oppurtunity to see just how good of a pilot you really are. It is great that you are undefeatable in a Mustang, But what if you had to go to war and you were not assigned a Mustang? If you are good in a mustang, you know why and what to do versus any plane. Now you get to do the reverse. Figure out how to make a non=Mustang win based on what you know about them. This can only make you Stronger both i the Mustang any piloting in general!

Let's reserve the 2 week swap for overwhelming preference and not make a rule of it.
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2003, 10:11:05 PM »
Originally posted by aknimitz
AKs do not oppose at all, although maybe a better idea is to stop asking squads for what side they prefer, and instead assign the squads as you see fit.

There are always going to be disappointed squads, or those that do not get their preference. But hey, for the greater good of Squad Ops, most of us dont care that much ... that is unless you are a weenie like ammo and get all excited about the Peee-47.

:)

Nim

I like what Nim brought up here. If you don't offer a preference on side at the start of a rotation scenario then everyone should at least get a shot at flying what they want in the four weeks. Might even make for some really nice air battles. Over and above what we normally get in SO's.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2003, 08:59:13 AM »
The rules are pretty clear on squads having to be on a side or in a ride at times they don't want to.  Life goes on...

I have never seen any harm in asking squads what side they want. If I am able I give them their ride after checking what side they were on the month prior. Most of the time I am able to give squads what they request, but not always. Having a 4 week Squad Operations would make it all moot since everyone would get a side they wanted for 1/2 the time.

Squads that don't respond to the BB here get placed where I need em so it all works out in the wash.

As I said this is just a test. We will see how it goes and decide after we are done. :)
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure