Author Topic: Arlo: Ignore list. And a GREAT american story  (Read 421 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Arlo: Ignore list. And a GREAT american story
« on: May 02, 2003, 11:34:14 AM »
Arlo: People who put ignore lists in their taglines give me the mental image of kids who stick their fingers in their ears and go "LALALALALA" loudly so they can tune out the things they don't want to hear

Arlo,
 Respectfully, I have an issue with your note about ignore lists - it may be true in some cases but not in general.
 I believe the recent fasion may have arisen after I disclosed my ignore list on my tagline - and explained it in a post, reason having nothing to do with political disagreements or even offensiveness but just general lack of content worthy of time and screen space. But of course everyone has his own reasons.

Disclosing one's list makes a great deal of sense and not just fro children.
 Many times a member may be addressing another one who is ignoring him. There may be something in an ignored post worth reading. Other members may perceive someone's failure to address another poster's message as an implicit admission or evasion. I've once got  blasted for not replying to some argument withing a period that person though sufficient for me to produce an answer (I do not generally post over weekends).

Having an ignore list disclosed remedies that. Nobody would make unwarranted conclusions from a participat who is ignoring statements of some posters.
 If someone decides that an ignored post contains valuable some info, he can do a favor of quoting it - which may even propmpt removal of that poster from an ignore list.
 Ignore list provides a great feedback to a person being ignored (for reasons other than lack of content) to adjust the tone his messages if he is interested in evangelism - he may choose better to hit someone with a diluted message than not reach him at all.
 The size and content of an inore list may provide sefull information about a person using it.
 Other rational reasons appy.

As a compensation for considering my point, I recommend a great, if lengthy (5 pages) story from american history that you will be glad to have read - unless you are a communist or other such collectivist and an enemy of The Constitution, in which case thank you for your attention anyway.

Whether true event or just people's legend, the story about Davy Crockett and the Constitution is a great example of what american spirit once was.

miko

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 12:00:18 PM »
LALALALALALA

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 01:12:00 PM »
The people who ends up ignored, are the ones going LALALALALA.
I mean, how else would they keep up with their stubborn and stupid arguments, without listening anyone elses?

:D

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 01:23:37 PM »
everyones arguments are stubborn and stupid...if they wernt the entire idfe a of a message board wouldent be needed

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 01:48:50 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
everyones arguments are stubborn and stupid...if they wernt the entire idfe a of a message board wouldent be needed

I do MEAN the stupid part :>

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 01:56:25 PM »
so do i...smart people dont waste time arguing with people who will never listen

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 03:13:29 PM »
I do it in RL too, I ignore poeple who I find stupid or don't make sense, and It usualy shows too. Why should I be any different here?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
The people who ends up ignored, are the ones going LALALALALA.
I mean, how else would they keep up with their stubborn and stupid arguments, without listening anyone elses?

:D

Interesting theory.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 02:44:59 AM »
studmuffins,,,

i dont even know these guys...but i guess they knoiw me??..lmfao ..

Miko..can we get more tank stories plese??whats biggesth thing u ever shot?

love
BiGB
xoxo