Author Topic: I’ve seen rants before…  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2003, 08:17:09 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
:confused:

Its pretty obvious he doesn't know about the best aspect of AH, that being the Squadron Tour of Duty, the Combat Theatre, the special events...hell, only the MA has rotating fantasy terrain and the only reason for that is to keep a virtual battle interesting 24 hours a day.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2003, 08:20:36 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2003, 08:27:38 AM »
My point, kekule isn't about better or worse.  Its about continuing to cite differences that don't exist anymore.... even if describing them as "used to be".

The truth is, there really isn't any reason a warbirds III player should be calling AH arcadish... but you didn't really come out and say that now.... did you?  

How about coming out and telling the simple truth: people just don't want to leave their friends/community/security with a game they've been playing for the last 5 years.  And... they'll come up with any excuse possible to justify their decision to those that question it.  Seems to me that's what the post being discussed was all about... finding tons of reasons to quit when none were really necessary.

MiniD

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2003, 08:30:34 AM »
I think what d is saying is that there are no real apparent reasons for staying in WB or any advantage for WB over AH.  There are however many disadvantages to staying with WB.  Many things that are wrong and many that are just plain dishonest...  The WWII arena has created a them vs us mentality that is so partisan and bitter that "community" is just a word that you all remmember and parrot.

Nifty... no crime in not being good... I am mediocre.. the crime is in fearing not being good.   I believe that many of the WB guys stay there to remain big fish in little ponds and fear that if they come here they will be tiny little minnows in a big lake.  

Worse... some stay because they actually think that others are watching their "skill" and they will embarass themselves here at first.
lazs

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2003, 08:47:56 AM »
I was a die hard fan of WB for years, started back in 97 or so, came to AH a couple of years ago.

I like Kek am a big Japanese planeset fan, Mmmmm Ki-84. I do get bored with AH usually with the Pizza and Trinity map, like lazs I am a furballer and need to save his prettythang often. I like fast paced fights and needing to keep track on 6 cons at once.

I think AH2 with be something for everyone from the looks of it.

I still have a few friends over in WB, hope to fly with them again soon. Took me a long time to leave WB, took convincing from lazs and hooligan when they were in NY, and I am glad I switched.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2003, 09:35:25 AM »
Originally posted by narsus
Took me a long time to leave WB, took convincing from lazs and hooligan when they were in NY, and I am glad I switched.

Yep, you guys didn't listen to me like you should have :D Uncle Ripsnort is NEVER wrong. :D:D

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2003, 09:42:59 AM »
you hit the nail on the head lazs.

even a few of my old (really old) squaddies refuse to migrate.. at times they've 'leaked' that the learning curve would be too steep.

too bad, they're missing a lot and paying even more.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2003, 11:02:48 AM »
Originally posted by Kekule
Mini D:
 Read my original post. In case you forgot, this is what I said: "currently, there are vast differences that has allowed AH to prosper and WB to suffer."

That is pretty much stating that AH has advanced while WB remained stagnant.  Ask anyone that plays WB and they will agree. So now what is your point? That your "game" is better than mine? I'll agree with that. Big deal. :cool:  

Lets run down what we both agree on:

*AH is better overall than WB.

*AH has progressed while WB has stagnated.

Now tell me again why you are so defensive? Doesn't make sense when we agree. lol

I still think you are a native Californian. :p

This is great- the online equivilent of Neandratal Man, IE, Kekule of Warbirds, wanders over to our cave, admits that the Neandratals aren't doing so well, but he'll continue to hang in there until the very end because of "brand loyalty."

The REAL reason the Neanda... er...the Warbirds players that are hanging in there are sticking around until the bitter end is because their egos are too fragile to deal with the learning curve of switching to Aces High. Babies.

Go back to your War Birds cave Keukle and tell your dim-witted fellows that the Modern Humans in the NEXT cave play Aces High. And no matter how much jumping around, smashing your club on the cave wall and grunting you do your Sim is a dead end in the evolution of Flight Sims. And take your anti-California remarks with you.

-Airhead, Native Californian and proud of it.

:cool:

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2003, 11:09:18 AM »
ugh!

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2003, 11:22:52 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
No idea why anyone still pays more to play WB3 than what AH costs. I've downloaded and tried every version (offline at least) of WB since it was first called Confirmed Kill and it just can't compete with AH. Different strokes I guess.

WBIII is Confirmed Kill? Wow I was a beta tester in Confirmed Kill. It had great potential but they ran out of money just as they were getting it in semi playable condition. I thought it just died. Broke my heart.

My big find was flying the DC-2 with paratroopers in it and not being able to get it off the ground. I bugged it and the developer told me that he discovered the reason. The paratroopers weighted something like 500 lbs each.

Offline Kekule

• Zinc Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2003, 11:26:04 AM »
Airhead, lazs, I know you both well enough not to nibble your bait.  :)

I suck at WB, I sucked when I tried AH for a week or two. *yawn* My ego can handle it 'cause I don't care if I die every sortie. Check my WB score for proof. lol :)  Problem is, I can't suck at flying a Ki-43 in AH as well as I do in WB. One of my favorite planes. Maybe with AH2?

Oddly enough, I bash WB as much as the AH players. Brand loyalty is a strange condition.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2003, 11:27:35 AM »
Oh Gawd, Airhead, I fargging laughed to myself for a min. straight after reading that until a co-worker asked if I was okay...(he's KNOWS that I'm not okay..;) )

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
I’ve seen rants before…
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2003, 11:28:43 AM »
Originally posted by Habu
WBIII is Confirmed Kill?

Not WBIII, WB, sorry if I misled ya. When WB was first beta it was called Confirmed Kill. Sometime later and for reasons I don't recall there was a split and the sim was called Warbirds. The graphics engine was then changed.

Think it was Domark and/or Sierra that then continued development on Confirmed Kill which they much later went beta with. Flopped and never left beta stage.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.