Author Topic: 3 point or wheel landing  (Read 614 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by FlyingDuckSittingSwan:
where's the rearm pad?   :confused:

At each end of the runways.... if you go to:  http://home14.inet.tele.dk/snefens/maps.html  and download the field maps, the exact position of the rearm (supply) pads are shown for each size of field.   :)

If you are not aware, if you park your plane/vehicle on one of these it will rearm/refuel it to the same loads as when you started - very useful if in a hurry.   :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
Very well said, Voss, very good.

Almost sounds word for word what my Jeppersen manuals describe it as   :)  I thought for sure Frenchy, the local CFI, would voice in!

262s are a lot harder to land than the Ar 234....234 has wonderful visibility and you can cheat by getting an outside view by hitting F3.  I spent a lot of time doing touch n goes with the 262 and found that riding 180 to the end of the runway then chopping power comlpetely worked best for me.

The nerve bitting thing is doing this at an airfield where no cons can dive in and get ya!  It takes quite a while to get these birds under 300mph.  

How about carrier landings, guys?  I know its a bear with the F4 and its big nose.  I try to keep an eye on the con tower antenna, peek over the nose and chop power there.  Sometimes it works, sometimes I swim!  Any good carrier landing tips for the F4's?  Sea Spit is a cinch, as is the TBM.

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
There's another cool technique I learned about in "Stick and Rudder" (good book) that works amazingly well in AH. It doesn't really have a name. On approach, if you need to lose more altitude, and you already have full flaps down, pull back on the stick and start riding the edge of the stall (audible warning) and hold it there. As much as possible, control the tendancy to break to one side or other with rudder. But if you think you're about to enter a full stall, push forward just barely enough to avoid it. In this state, you'll have the plane under control, but you'll be dropping like a proverbial rock (absolute minimum airspeed with maximum rate of descent). Maybe falling like a leaf would be a better way to put it. You won't be able to see the runway, so make sure you're lined up before starting this maneuver (use a point on the horizon as a reference). When you're at a point where you think you should start thinking about landing, push forward to see the runway and gain enough airspeed to make a soft landing. If you do it right, there will really be no flare, per se. You'll already be in the right attitude for a 3-point. Just use throttle to adjust rate of descent so you don't rip the gear off (or worse).  

I guess a name for this might be "Stall/mush glidepath control".

Very useful (in addition to side-slips) for planes with no flaps.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
i do 3 pointers if i can be bothered to take the time to setup properly.  Just as often, I get impatient and just try get it down asap.  Both work, however a nice 3 pointer is better for braking once down, and making it to the rearm pad.

SKurj

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako:
P.S. Westy, to get more drag you should leave RPM as high as possible with engine idling, this gives more drag than a low RPM or stopped prop.

Actually, that's not quite true. Think of the propellor pitch as angle-of-attack. Higher angles-of-attack present more drag, not less.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
Then why do they feather props on dead engines?

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2001, 03:32:00 PM »
Power off is another situation altogether. In order to achieve the least resistance you feather the prop on a dead or shut down engine.

Come to think of it this is one area I have not investigated within the confines of Aces High. I'm wondering, now, if I can improve on fuel economy...

Has anyone toyed with this?

Offline K West

• Silver Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2001, 04:10:00 PM »
"to get more drag you should leave RPM as high as possible with engine idling, this gives more drag than a low RPM or stopped prop."

Now I'm getting cornfused  :)

I figured less prop rpms' meant less air being pulled/pushed past the aircraft by the propellor.  And hence low rpm, less air being acted on giving decreased forward movement.
 Now prop pitch I could see how that would fit in (unless in AH they're linked to rpm in whihc case I'm all discombobulated) in that higher AOA's (going from edge on to the air until it was flat against the flow) would offer more forward resistance under a low rpm setting.  

I wish AH guncam films would allow the player to hop into the aircraft "live" at any point and take the controls. Sure would make testing these thoughts out more easily.

westy

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2001, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Voss:
Power off is another situation altogether. In order to achieve the least resistance you feather the prop on a dead or shut down engine.

Come to think of it this is one area I have not investigated within the confines of Aces High. I'm wondering, now, if I can improve on fuel economy...

Has anyone toyed with this?

See in my multi-engine training, I was told right out that an engine out produces a huge amount of drag and to visualize it like a large disc or round sheild out there in the airstream....very draggy.  Feather the props and its all better.

I've played with it some, in Aces, I'm assuming the engines are automatically feathered when dead.  Oddly, though, the jets, despite being very close to centrline versus the buffs, yaw tremedously.  Go grab a 262, shut down an engine, and try to taxi...you yaw steeply in the direction of the off engine.  Strange...I wouldn't expect it to be so drastic.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2001, 04:47:00 PM »
Dead engines aren't auto featherd.

Go up in the ride of your choice, set speed to any value, kill the engine,wiat for it to stabilize in the glide and note the ROC.

Now reduce RPM to minimum, and see what happens to the ROC.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
In a 262? Not surprised at all. Those pylons are located halfway down the wing. In an F-14 or F-18 you would probably notice it only barely.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
3 point or wheel landing
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2001, 12:29:00 AM »
If there is a way to independantly vary the prop rpm on seperate engines, please let me know, as I haven't discovered it. AH does not appear to be programmed to that extent. Further, I don't see an economic benefit of tuning RPM for cruise. It looks like prop rpm's are limited in their effect.