Author Topic: Guess the real beer!  (Read 785 times)

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 07:44:40 AM »
Heh, wow , you ppl drink Newcy Brown? or 'Dog' as we call it here in England (well some of us at least).

Generally reserved for drinking when pub has no decent hand pulled ale on offer.

But nice to see it's got some currency in the states. Bottles make good weapons too, (they are very thick glass and shatter into sharp shards).

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003, 07:52:02 AM »
The second beer from the right is the "One and Only" Newcastle.

:D

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003, 08:07:21 AM »
I used to drink alot of that stuff in my first year at uni. I was in Durham (15 minutes from Newcastle on the train) - it only costs 95p a bottle up there ($1.40).

Can't drink it anymore after a prolonged bender on it several years ago.

Nice looking stuff Nifty. I look forward to a field report. :D
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 08:31:03 AM »
the one on the right is the real NC, Reason being looking at the bottle on the left its been washed  and sanitized. (look at the lable the gloss and shine of it):D
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2003, 10:56:31 AM »
tsk tsk...

Funked was right.  The one on the left is the real Newcastle, and the one on the right is the homebrew.

The label is wilted on the left bottle because I live in Florida and it was very humid that night.  The bottle was sweating so it wilted the label.   I dried it off best I could, which is probably why it is shiny.  :)  There is visible sediment in the bottle on the right as well.

As for consumption and field tests...  anyone that comes to Pensacola is more than welcome to some home brew.  Combine that with a trip to the Naval Aviation Museum, well, what could make a WWII aviation fan happier?  I only ask that you bring an attractive, available female along with you.  ;)

Bounder, do you feel that way about all English nut browns?  What about Samuel Smith's nut brown?  Personally, Newcastle is my fav beer, but really only if it's draught (usually fresher).  The one in the picture tasted a little old in the tooth;  I guess it had been on the shelf too long.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2003, 11:06:03 AM »
Originally posted by Nifty
tsk tsk...
Bounder, do you feel that way about all English nut browns?  What about Samuel Smith's nut brown?  Personally, Newcastle is my fav beer, but really only if it's draught (usually fresher).  The one in the picture tasted a little old in the tooth;  I guess it had been on the shelf too long.

Smiths make fine ale too. My quibble is not with the ale but with the bottle.

I just believe a hand pulled pint into a fresh glass tastes better than any bottled beer. But when frequenting clubs and the like there is often only europisslager on nitrokeg, in which case I'll opt for a bottle of Dog everytime.

As for making it yourself ! I'd ask you to send me a bottle, but that would be like (wait for it)
sending coals to Newcastle!

Nothing tastes quite like home made beer (nothing tastes like mine anyway, at least not anything potable), like homegrown veg, half the pleasure is knowing that you made it.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2003, 11:58:05 AM »
I completely agree about bottled "manufactured" brews.  They have to filter and pasteurize to maintain the "right" flavor.  The problem is they go stale pretty quickly in the bottles if all the active cultures are killed off.  Combine that with an oversea voyage plus shelf time, and you can get a not so fresh beer.  For some reason, that doesn't seem to happen in the kegs, as I've never had bad Newcastle (or Guinness, Bass, or any other foreign beer) draught.  I guess the only exception is even though I like Guinness draught, I prefer the Guinness Extra Stout out of the bottle.  ;)

Yup, stuff you've made yourself just always tastes better!  :)  Especially with the yeast still being alive and the flavors just get better over time.  ;)

oh, for my squaddie Sunking...  I prefer Sierra Nevada's porter to the pale ale.  I like Red Hook even more than Sierra Nevada (and our Hooter's has the Red Hook porter on tap.  Bless those curvacious cuties!)

Offline WineMan

• Zinc Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2003, 12:02:27 PM »
Nifty, I will be expecting my six pack to arrive within the next week or two for a proper evaluation.....

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2003, 12:12:51 PM »
AHHHHH  damn i miss the sediment (kicks self) i home brew too, well have made several batch but havent in a year or so since moving.
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2003, 01:16:18 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
Yup, stuff you've made yourself just always tastes better!  :)  Especially with the yeast still being alive and the flavors just get better over time.  ;)
[/b]
That's the nicest thing about hand pulled ale, it's alive! Once delivered, a barrel requires loving care from a cellar keeper in order to come out of the pumps the way the brewer intended. And as you say Newcastle Brown Ale is a hallmark of consistency.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2003, 01:50:31 PM »
Originally posted by WineMan
Nifty, I will be expecting my six pack to arrive within the next week or two for a proper evaluation.....

Did you read this Nifty!!!   :D     Hit the post office ASAP

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2003, 03:04:14 PM »
Originally posted by SunKing
Did you read this Nifty!!!   :D     Hit the post office ASAP

sheesh, I'm giving away half of this batch already.  ;)   There won't be any beer mailings, and especially not a six-pack's worth!

So, if you guys want some, you better come get it cuz I ain't sending any away.  :p

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2003, 06:03:57 PM »
Aw c'mon...but I offered to send you a 6 of Munich Helles in exchange.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Guess the real beer!
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2003, 01:18:35 PM »
just a punt to let you guys know that the Niftycastle turned out rather well when tested over the weekend.  Something tells me this batch won't get to age very long!  :D