Author Topic: Take a moment this Memorial Day  (Read 310 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Take a moment this Memorial Day
« on: May 25, 2003, 11:24:34 PM »
In the U.S. Monday is our  Memorial Day. We take time to remember and honor those that have died for our country over the years. From the very recent to the very oldest of conflicts.

It saddens me to see so many people think of this holiday as simply an excuse to BBQ or travel to a lake and fish. Completely oblivious that the freedom they are enjoying was paid for with so many young men and women.

Take even a little time Monday to remember those that have kept our nation whole and strong by giving their lives to us.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 12:07:31 AM »
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 01:04:28 AM »
Spent the day here http://www.angelfirememorial.com/Activities/activities.html
with old friends and meeting and making new friends, eating red meat and enjoying adult beverages .
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 09:52:56 AM »
to those who gave all, that this country could remain free.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 10:48:43 AM »

B.H.
J.D.
P.R.
D.K.
D.C.
N.M.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 01:10:57 PM »
I already have, Hawk.   :)   Don't have any red on today, but got the white and blue.   to all our military personal, past and present.  Especially those who gave their life in service to all of us.

and excuse to have a BBQ?  bah, I'm at work for a full day today, and I've got laundry and stuff at home.  I'll just have one of my homebrews, which I must say turned out really well.  :)   It's all good though, I'm stuck at work because people gave their lives to defend our freedom.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 06:18:13 PM »
spent the day at an air field looking at ww2 planes and talking to ww2 pilots :)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 10:21:55 AM »
Spent the day with my nephew, niece, my wife, and my mom at the local aquarium (wore a t-shirt with a picture of Curious George saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag), then took a nap, then went for a 4-mile jog wearing my red-white-blue running clothes.  Wanted to watch "Saving Private Ryan" but wife wanted to watch "Fear Factor" instead.  Guess who won that decision.  Later, I logged onto AH and flew the P-51B instead of my usual 109 or Yak ride.  I managed to get 4 kills on my first upping (a 205 and a couple of 190s in there) before a holed radiator put me down.  Got a 109 on my 2nd flight before a high N1K2 caught me in a dive.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 10:25:26 AM by gofaster »

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 02:42:29 AM »
Hawk,

Thanks for the thoughts.  Guys like me who are in the military (USAF here) really do appreciate your gratitude!

Thanks everyone!!!

Maj Mike Backman
550 Special Operations Squadron
Kirtland AFB, NM