Author Topic: Why in this SIM?  (Read 484 times)

Offline Packard

• Zinc Member
Why in this SIM?
« on: June 05, 2003, 03:21:11 PM »
I have only been here playing this SIM for about 3 weeks and already I have found that it is useless to go into a H2H room and expect people not to vulch. Do I seriously have to join the main world just to get away from that? I didn't realize it was considered a skill to be able to shoot down people as they are taking off. I know what you are going to say. "Just join the main theatre."  I have and I have found that my skills can use some improving before I do this.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 03:42:04 PM »
the H2H arenas are hosted by folks that only want to vulch, of work with there own people. If your not part of the group, your the target.

Learn the basics off-line... commands, basic manuvers, how to use the radio, learn your way around the game. Next move up to the trainers. There are a number of them and they will be very happy to spend time with you to learn a few of the finer points.

You can also learn in the main arena. I know you die in the MA....ALOT !  LOL!!! but what better place to see what a plane can do!! Not only do you learn by flying them, you learn even more by dieing from them!! Don't get frustrated by dieing, just get a new plane, think about what happened in the fight you just lost, and think of another way of approuching it. When you start getting the kills are learning to survive, it will be that much sweeter :)

Good Luck !

Maddog Joe

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 03:42:16 PM »
Try the Dueling Arena or the Combat Theater.  In fact, I highly encourage new players to fly in the CT as a way to hone your fighting skills.  You'll find the plane sets are fairly well balanced and its a lot less crowded, allowing for more 1 v 1 battles.  The set-ups are usually mid-war, so the planes are slower and more forgiving in stalls.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 03:45:50 PM »
That is funny. You'd think in the H2H arena they'd actually want to get a decent dogfight going. Vulching in H2H seems really sad.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 04:07:22 PM »
If you want you can also get vulched in the MA ;)

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 04:30:07 PM »
lol...usually in good arenas vulching is not allowed. I suggest you go to the "Free Multiplayer' section of this forum. I spent over a year in H2H before  I started paying, and I had a blast almost every time. talk to people like Bendover, hawklore and vorticon who've been playing for quite a while.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Why in this SIM?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 06:04:27 PM »
Originally posted by Packard
I didn't realize it was considered a skill to be able to shoot down people as they are taking off.

It's considered an art form...

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 06:12:18 PM »
If an individual want's to have a personal "code of honor" or if even a squad wants one ... that's fine. But don't expect it to apply to others.

Here's a different philosophy that can't fail:

If you get vulched then you apparently didn't notice the flashing base icon on your map/ lapboard. A flashing base has enemy planes (or vehicles .. or ships) near it. If you up there, you take your chances. They could be miles out or they could be assaulting the base. It could be seconds from being captured. If you take off from a base that is capped by the enemy and expect the other side to let you grab, attain speed, etc. before they engage your ship, then you have unrealistic expectations. Find a "safe" strip to up from or enjoy the challenge of taking off from a field being assaulted. If you want "fair fights" try the dueling arena.

No offense. Just sayin'. Either way, good luck.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Why in this SIM?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 06:25:30 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
It's considered an art form...

Ack-Ack

Not when you've got the standard H2H ammo load of 50,000 rounds per gun.

I love vultching btw, It can be superbly funny in the MA. I still have the film of one guy calling me "The biggest lamer vulching a**hole ever in the history of Aces High"  :D Great times :D :D :D

Gatso

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 07:05:45 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
If you get vulched then you apparently didn't notice the flashing base icon on your map/ lapboard.

A host can turn off the flashing bases, or at least turn down distance enough to where it doesnt go off until the vulch is in process

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 07:19:02 PM »
You're running into the wrong rooms. Most FFA rooms will not be vulching all that much and when someone does it's likely he will be ganged on.
Lost of trigger time in those rooms, much more than in any paying arena, as much as any KOTH except you can keep upping all you want.

HtHide's FFA maps, esp v.3, are some of the best for quick, continuous furballing.

in the worst non vulching cases there'll be one Komet zooming thru but the average "good" ffa hosts turn it off with the 262 and sometimes most of the perk planes.

and if you need the flashing to warn you of incoming vulchers you're in a room with a wrong map.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 07:19:36 PM »
Tower siren, cous. ;)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 09:30:31 PM »
Originally posted by MaddogJoe
the H2H arenas are hosted by folks that only want to vulch, of work with there own people. If your not part of the group, your the target.

JESUS!!! WAY TO FRIGGING STEROTYPE!

It is in fact the minority of hosts that allow vulching in an FFA arena, and if its teams, well i got only one thing to say to you, "Quit squeaking, we want your base"

Offline Packard

• Zinc Member
Well...
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2003, 08:20:37 AM »
I have found that H2H rooms are not setup for map domination (or strategic control). Most maps are too big (seem to be) and there are too few players. 8 max.

Fact is, if you can vulch with impunity, it isn't an "artform"  At least in the main theatre, there is major danger when trying to vulch a field when you have to worry about 350 other possible pilots.

In general, I guess you are right Maddog-Joe. H2H rooms are started by poeple who lack the skill needed to compete in the MA, therefore resort to vulching to build-up their ego. This is not true for all H2H rooms or people who go to them, but that is my opinion after 3 1/2 weeks of play.

I admit. When my friend and I start a 2 person H2H room just for the 2 of us to dogfight eachother, I have vulched him. Several times. And vice-versa. To the brink of tears from laughter. But we are on Roger Wilco and joking with eachother.  Its easy. Too easy.

I'm a leet dood that just pawned joo on take-off!!!

Sorry for the rant. I just like the SIM and hate to see this aspect of it. :(

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Why in this SIM?
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2003, 08:52:49 AM »
yeah most games arnt set up for teams in hth...the ffa is allright sometimes but there are some team arenas...it really is a shame the simcade had to die because that always was a stable arena with a stable host (except when spazzz was at work of course)

and your wrong...most people who play hth do so because they cant afford to pay for MA or simply feel that they dont play the game enough to actually bother paying...and yes there are quite a few hth players who are better than most MA players (or so it seems) (not tooo many players but enough...bendover nod bozz snoopy and udet are among them...im not...)

and dont listen to udet he is now and always will be a much better pilot than me...i just raised my prestige by being a VERY VERY VERY active member of the community...and i talk to much...

enough of my phanboiz ranting about hth...your best way to learn the planes and how to fly them relativly well is offline...once you can fly fairly well head into hth and practice dogfighting for a while...then whenever you feel your ready jump into the MA...