Author Topic: Hog Advice  (Read 1124 times)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2003, 11:48:29 AM »
The -1 is faster and slightly more maneuverable than the -1D & -1C if you burn the LW fuel tank first. The first thing on your take-off checklist should be Select LW fuel tank all variants after the -1 had an additional armor plate welded/riveted to the Right Wingtip to counteract the left wing stall.

As far as tactics vs this plane or that plane it all depends on E states. Know that at high speeds a hog rolls good and generaly speaking out maneuvers most AC. A fast HOG is one that lives at least a little longer. Don't ever try to climb to an enemy unless you're 400mph+ and know you can reach them before you get to 200mph. With an empty LW the -1 will stall fight better than the other hogs and LA-5/7's will auger if they try to follow you low & slow (poor spit pilots also), but this is a dangerous fight if they disengage and choose to BnZ you. A hog takes ages to regain E so stall fights are a last resort. The -1 climbs worst of all the hogs since it does not have the paddle prop(worse than a P-47 too). Always try to maintain a positive E state compared to your enemy. Another tactic is slowing down to cause the overshoot like Innominate said it slows down very well, droping gear will bleed speed faster than any other AC but it also tips your hand fairly quickly, the nme can see your gear is down, unless he's above you. A notch of flaps and mashing the rudder in a roll will usually sufice.

It is fun to fly but can be frustrating in an arena full of uber rides and outnumbered situations. It helps to choose your fights carefully but once your in it helps to end it as quickly as possible.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 09:04:59 AM »
Last night I got into a couple of low speed turnfights against SirLoin.  The first time, I was in a Spitfire V and he was in a Corsiar.  He got me to stall and crash.  I noticed that in the turns, he was full flaps with gear down and he managed to stay with me in turns without torquing over and stalling out.  Hmmm.

The second time I was in a Yak9U and I saw him turning with his gear down and some flaps.  There must be a trick in there that I should learn.  I'll have to experiment and see if I can figure it out.

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Hog Advice
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 09:40:30 AM »
He must have some really good control because it is really hard to control the F4U with full flaps and gear. Your plane kinda starts to "drift" to the way you are turning.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Hog Advice
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 12:30:03 PM »
Negative Hellcat,

The max ammo load in a P-47 is 2136 according to the data I have for overload fighter condition in a T-Bolt.

That is why the F4U needs alternate load outs in AH.

Also remember depending on the source (manufacture or Service) the F4U-1 is over 1,000lbs lighter empty than the Thunderbolt. The rest is fuel and ammo.

Here is a quote from Joe Baughers web page on this. This is not my source however.

The P-47D-6-RE to P-47D-11-RE and P-47G-10-CU to 15-CU production blocks had only ventral shackles, which were stressed to accommodate one 500-lb bomb, but subsequent production blocks were fitted with underwing pylons and stronger wings which permitted them to carry two 1000-lb bombs, three 500-lb bombs or a combination of bombs and drop tanks. Either six or eight machine guns could be carried, and maximum ammunition capacity was 425 rpg. However with the full ordinance load, ammunition capacity was reduced to 267 rpg.

Totaling 2136 rounds
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 01:43:25 PM by F4UDOA »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Hog Advice
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 01:48:03 PM »
Originally posted by HeLLcAt
He must have some really good control because it is really hard to control the F4U with full flaps and gear. Your plane kinda starts to "drift" to the way you are turning.

Yeah, that's been my experience as well.  He was in an F4U-1 birdcage.  I'm guessing he was at 25% fuel (general fighting area was pretty close and I intercepted him before he got very far) and burning his left wing tank first to negate the prop torque effect.  Maybe he was using generous amounts of rudder input.  I'll have to experiment a bit and see if I can figure this bird out.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Hog Advice
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 12:10:29 AM »
wonders how the heck i burn off  the wing tank in the 1d  when it only has a main fusalage tank ???? lol
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation