Author Topic: Car HELP.  (Read 427 times)

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
Car HELP.
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:13:45 PM »
I have a 1968 Falcon furtra and the starter cylinoid went out on me, so i bought a new one. Its grounded to the wheel well but when i turn the key i just get a "click". The eng doesnt turn over. I have power to the car (radio, dash, lights) all work but the car wont turn over.  I have the wire from the starter connected to one side of the starter cylinoid and on the other i have (3) wires hooked up ( Positive Battery, and 2 other ones).

Do i have the wrong starter cylinoid?  or do i have it hooked up wrong?

HELP!!!!:confused:

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 04:23:10 PM »
Check to make sure that ground to the body is good.  Make sure that there is no corrosion that may be impeding the ground.  If necessary, take some sandpaper and clean the ground point.

Also make sure both battery terminals are clean...use a wire brush if necessary to clean them up.

If you still have problems, it may be that the starter itself needs to be replaced/rebuilt, or your battery has drained.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 04:24:40 PM »
Try tapping the starter motor with a hammer. It usually unsets stator  "freeze" enough on old starter motors to turn over. This is if you are getting a click from the starter motor.

;)

If tapping dosent do it, see above ^
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 04:34:45 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Car HELP.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 04:30:28 PM »
tap the starter with a hammer and try again . its most likely the starter is getting worn out.
 you can test the cylenoid with a simple light bulb attached to the starter side of it and grounded then twist its tail (Key).
you cables may also be corroded internally and not passing enough amperage, along with a possiable weak battery.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 05:03:09 PM »
Check your positive cable connect at your starter. Hope it's a loose connection. Tighten it and you should be okay.
Did you re-connect the old wires to your new solenoid switch (the actual solenoid is mounted on the starter under a cover) exactly like it was on the old one?
Make sure your battery is fully charged and not defective.
If hitting your starter with a hammer frees it up and then starts, get a new starter as the drive is worn.
If the starter is bad usually a good test is all your lights will dim as you try to start your car. Starter is shorting out (carbon fouling, or just plain worn out) or damaged starter drive.
You should have at least one of the smaller wires hooked up to your solenoid switch's 'S' terminal, otherwise it won't allow the current to flow to the starter itself.
How old is the starter? Is it encrusted with dirty black(carbon - electrically conductive) oil coating?
Also try using a multimeter to see the voltage drop when trying to start it.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
Car HELP.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 08:31:04 PM »
Hmm, does it have a neutral safety switch?  

Thorns

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 08:59:15 PM »
Ditch the Ford, buy a GM. ;)
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 03:31:39 AM »
Take the starter out and connect it to a battery with jumper cables. Then connect electricity to solenoid, if the starter starts turning then the problem is likely in the wiring of your car. Also remember to check that the drive gear of the starter moves forward when it starts turning.

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 04:07:15 AM »
Originally posted by MrCoffee
Try tapping the starter motor with a hammer. It usually unsets stator  "freeze" enough on old starter motors to turn over. This is if you are getting a click from the starter motor.

;)

If tapping dosent do it, see above ^

That was it!  i taped the starter (which is only 3 years old) and pumped the peddel a few times and FRRROOOOM! fired right up.

Thanks guys!  First time replacing the starter cylinoid. Now i i just got to wax my baby and get her ready for the Woodword Dream Cruise .

Thanks alot guys!!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Car HELP.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 04:17:39 AM »
After trying everything suggested, take a few minutes and come to terms with the fact that it's a Ford.  These things are going to happen.  Alot.

MiniD

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 07:37:27 AM »
Don't forget to change your starter unless you want to end up stranded somewhere. Sticking starter drives are a good indicator of when it's time to replace the starter.
At least you don't have to shim a Ford starter unlike those aluminum-nosed small block Chevy starters. ;)
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2003, 08:15:12 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
After trying everything suggested, take a few minutes and come to terms with the fact that it's a Ford.  These things are going to happen.  Alot.

Already warned him about it mini, let's see if he sinks or swims.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2003, 10:31:11 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Already warned him about it mini, let's see if he sinks or swims.

nah i'll keep my ford.  I dont like the body styles of the other 2 makers.   anyways my falcon has out lasted ever other car ive had in the past years.  ( 80 buick regal, 96 cavalear, 89 mustang, 91 mercury, 98 ranger, 99 ranger )

only thing ive done with my falcon is change the starter and this starter cylinoid.

but too each there own. :p

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 11:10:06 AM »
Originally posted by Chaos68
only thing ive done with my falcon is change the starter and this starter cylinoid.

Hopefully you have thrown in a couple of oil changes in there as well! ;)

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
Car HELP.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2003, 11:09:46 AM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Hopefully you have thrown in a couple of oil changes in there as well! ;)

cars use oil?  :D