Author Topic: P38stalls  (Read 332 times)

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
P38stalls
« on: August 15, 2003, 07:52:56 PM »
I was messing around the other day in the main arena with the P38.  I was at 10k doing power on stalls and power off stalls. It was really amazing results and very fun. After the big heavy bird would stall she would go nose down of course. After that I would cut throttles and put full power to the out side engine of the spin, or the engine on the wing that was traveling farther distance. That bird would spin,spin,spin. I started at 10k and at 2,500 I would select both engines and at 2k just throw some rudder opisite of the spin and she it would come instantly about 500ft off the deck. It was really fun though hehe. Anyway the best thing was when spining to the deck my fastest speed was 165-170ias. I gotta try to use that to my adv. sometime. Only problem would be how to enter it with out being lit up. A power off stall I would die so fast. Power on stall might turn into a rope but if it didnt and somehow the enemy would miss his shots then it might be useful. After the 38 I tryed a P51,109,la7,spit,jug and there was no way to settle that Pfactor and torque even with engines dead. I havent tryed a excess G turn to stall it yet though. Wish I could post my films from doing them

FBsmokey

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P38stalls
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 08:15:46 PM »
When messing with differential throttles on the P-38, you can run the risk of causing the plane to spin if you're not careful when throttling up.

If you have throttled down on one engine and then want to increase power to it, you have to throttle down the other engine first and then advance both of them together.  If you were just to increase power to one engine without throttle back on the other one and advancing them together,  it would result in a spin and at low altitudes would usually be fatal for the pilot and plane.  This has become the most probable reason to explain why and how Col. McGuire crashed his P-38 during a dogfight.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
P38stalls
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 11:03:09 PM »
Without going into a lot of detail here that's pretty easy to find with a search engine... what ya'll are talking about is called Vmc.
Defined as = minimum speed at which the aircraft can be controlled with one engine inoperative. Anything below that speed and the plane is going to want to roll over on ya. It's a required knowledge/demonstration item if you're applying for a multi engine pilot rating.

If ya'll don't feel like looking it up, and I get bored later ;), I can post some snippets about it.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
P38stalls
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 08:59:52 PM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
Without going into a lot of detail here that's pretty easy to find with a search engine... what ya'll are talking about is called Vmc.
Defined as = minimum speed at which the aircraft can be controlled with one engine inoperative. Anything below that speed and the plane is going to want to roll over on ya. It's a required knowledge/demonstration item if you're applying for a multi engine pilot rating.

If ya'll don't feel like looking it up, and I get bored later ;), I can post some snippets about it.

LOL NM man you didnt understand this thread. First of all I would stall it at about 15-20 ias with both engines. Then while being stalled and holding rudder to the spin I would spin really fast but even faster when I would cut the inside engine. Im just telling people to try it cause its lots of fun.  Of couse the single prop planes will be harder to recover so close the ground, P38 and those counter rotateing props are wonderful.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
P38stalls
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 01:24:03 AM »
LOL NM man you didnt understand this thread

I understood it very well, thank ya very much :P
Just figured you might be interested in the aerodynamics of what was actually going on, aside from just "hey this is fun." Guess not ;)