Author Topic: who's buying a new box when ah2 is here?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
who's buying a new box when ah2 is here?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2003, 06:50:52 PM »
i hope my XP Barton @ 2300mhz with a ATI9700pro will be enough :(

;)

Ill be upgrading for HL2 probably :o
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline BB Gun

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2003, 10:04:45 PM »
Hmmm, I haven't seen that particular error before, or at least, not under the conditions you apparently describe.

As there is some confusion....

you say
DreamStar case with a 400 PSU for 48 delivered

and then a couple sentences later you say
bought only a 300 watt Enermax

So which is it, the included 400 or the enermax 300?  and what are the numbers off the PSU for whichever unit you have in the system?

It sounds like you are just trying to run a disk from a different system on the new Motherboard.  That *will* cause loads of problems in win98, and *probably* cause a significant number in WinXP.  There are ALL KINDS of system component drivers for the chipsets that will conflict.  The drivers for the eMachines motherboard will most definitely NOT work for the MSI board.  Especially if there are different IDE drivers.  WHen you swap Motherboards, you *can* do a simple drive transfer *IF* you have cleaned out ALL Motherboard specific drivers for the system.  And even then, with win98, you're REALLY asking for problems as there are a number of system files which get lost and or cross-connected in the transfer.  If you want access to your win98 data, do a CLEAN XP install on the 80 GB HD - i.e. the 80 GB drive is freshly formatted, or even unformatted when you install XP. Then add the win98 disk as a secondary drive later, and all your data will be accessible to you.  There are ways to have a dual boot system, as well - but why would you want to do that?

It could be a lot of other things, too.  Not the least of which is the fact that you bought a Mobo off ebay.  Do you have any idea at all of the history of the mobo?  Was it an overstock/wholesaler or a private party?  Was it an open or sealed box?

As an afterthought, make sure you have the HD set to master and the CD set to slave, since they are sharing the same cable.

BB
Win7x64/ECS PH-55A Black / Corei7 860 / 8GB Gskill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK / Westy L2410NM / Radeon 5770 / Corsair 650TX / LG DVD / WD 640 Black AALS / WD 1TB&2TB GRN
My Pics
My daughter

Offline ZXMAW

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2003, 11:14:03 PM »
Thanks for posting BB Gun,

About the power supply:  Before i bought the board i responded to a post Bloom25 was involved with and asked a few questions. He said i would need at least a 300 w PS so i got a good one from Enermax instead of using the 250 that came with the emachine. The motherboard came but then did not fit in the old box so I bought the dreamstar for $48, it came w a cheap and very light  400 w PS. I thought I was better off with the Enermax.

The board did come from Ebay but had no wrapping on the box. The contents were all wrapped and never opened as far as I can tell.

As far as I can tell the board is not shorting out because I do get a blue screen and then the black asking me how i want to boot the machine up.
Boot normal... does not work
Boot safe... does not work
Boot last system configuration that worked... have not tried this and by what you have said maybe I should not.
I really wish there was a way that I can recover my information stored on the old HD... or can I?    After I reinstall WinXP Home edition will my old info still be there?

How would I do that anyway? the only CD I have is the Emachine restore CD. Will I be able to choose to install WinXP only and then use the drivers off the MSI CD to boot leaving all my old documents and stuff on the HD? I have no clue.

The only reason I would want to use my old HD with win98 is because i spent a lot of money with CH products on the whole hotas over a year a go when I did use win98 and the stuff i bought  only works with win98. As I hear AH works very stable with win98 SE without to many connection probs.

I do have partition magic but was unable to make it work because i needed to install win98 first then XP.
I would not have a problem erasing all info on the 80 gig if I can only access it first, take what I want out and then format the drive, reinstall 98, add a partition and them install XP but I have no Idea what is possible and what is not.
Any suggestions would be helpfull. The other HD I have with 98 on it is a 10 or 15 gig.. I kindof forget. Old comp was a 450 celleron from Compaq

THIS IS THE ENERMAX PS I"M USING

Model No. EG301P-VB
I/P Voltage rating 90V~135V AC or 180V~265V AC
(selected by slide switch)
Iin=115/230Vac 8A / 5A
Frequency 47Hz~63Hz
Inrush current 60A max./230V (at cold start)
O/P DC
Voltage Ripple & Noise Total
Reg. Output current rating
Min. / Max.
+3.3V 50mV 4% 0.3A / 28A
+5V 50mV 5% 0.3A / 30A
+12V 120mV 5% 1.5A / 22A
-5V 50mV 10% 0A / 1A
-12V 120mV 10% 0A / 1A
+5Vsb 50mV 5% 0.1A / 2.2A
+3.3V & +5V 170W
TOTAL O/P 300W
Hold up time 17ms min. at 230V AC full load
Over Power Protection 105%~160% of max load
Over Voltage Protection +5V: 5.6V~6.9V
+3.3V: 3.7V~4.5V?  

Any suggestions and thanks for the help,

ZX

Offline ZXMAW

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2003, 11:23:40 PM »
BTW the 80 gig HD with XP on it from my old machine is on a dual ribbon using the top connector which i figured was the primary. Nothing else is attached to it. The CDR and DVD share a rounded IDE cable with the DVD as primary like it was on the emachine but do not remember exactly how they had everything hooked up because i took it apart many days ago.

Should the DVD or CDR be hooked up to the same cable?

Thanks Again,
ZX

Offline BB Gun

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2003, 12:39:25 AM »
Again, what are the numbers on the Enermax PSU?  The ones that are on the side of the PSU and look like this:

Specifically, the DC output amperage numbers.  Looking at this Enermax 300W PSU above, however, if yours is similar, you should be fine.  Unplug all the lights in the case though, just to be sure.

How would I do that anyway? the only CD I have is the Emachine restore CD.

Ouch.  :eek:

THAT is why I will never buy a branded machine, no matter HOW good it is - you never get a copy of an operating system, you only get a "restore" disk.  Blech.  AFAIK, you can't install windows on a new system using a proprietary "recovery" disk.

At any rate, I'm still a little confused....

You have an 80 GB HD and a 10-ish GB HD, the 80 GB has E-machines XP-home, and the 10 GB HD has Win98?  And you have NO "bare" operating system disks?

It sounds like you have two drives with two different operating systems, and niether one has the ability to boot on the new Motherboard.  At this point, I'd attempt to borrow someone's spare HD and install/boot from it, AFTER obtaining a copy of WinXP the OS, not the recovery disk.  You can get a copy for less than a hundred bucks at Newegg by buying any old hardware item (even if its only a 5 dollar cable) or you can find someone who works at Microsoft who can get you their Employee price from the company store. (25 bucks for Home, 30 bucks for Pro)  And no, I don't work for them, I work for Boeing.  :)

Once you've installed/booted the borrowed drive, copy all the pertinent info onto it from the other HDs and then wipe them, and repeat the installation procedure.

I.e.

borrowed drive = drive 1
80 GB drive = drive 2
10GB Drive = drive 3

Clean install on Drive 1 as master, drive 2 as slave.

Hook up Drive 1, copy all necessary info from 2 to 1.  

Hook up Drive 2 as master, drive 1 as slave, wipe and clean install on drive 2, copy data from drive 1 to drive 2.  Remove drive 1, install drive 3 as slave.  (obvious, but shut down power between drive swapping).

At any rate, it looks like you are stuck at the moment, without a bootable copy of an OS (either bootable CD Rom version of XP or floppy boot/Win98 CD).

BB
Win7x64/ECS PH-55A Black / Corei7 860 / 8GB Gskill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK / Westy L2410NM / Radeon 5770 / Corsair 650TX / LG DVD / WD 640 Black AALS / WD 1TB&2TB GRN
My Pics
My daughter

Offline ZXMAW

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2003, 01:52:20 AM »
Specifically, the DC output amperage numbers. Looking at this Enermax 300W PSU above, however, if yours is similar, you should be fine. Unplug all the lights in the case though, just to be sure.

YEP, THAT'S THE EXACT MODEL I HAVE

You have an 80 GB HD and a 10-ish GB HD, the 80 GB has E-machines XP-home, and the 10 GB HD has Win98? And you have NO "bare" operating system disks?

:(  YEP, NOT LOOKING GOOD HUH BB?

ahh ha,

maybe I'm not 100% out of luck.
When I got the Partition magic a freind of mine made a copy of 98 and also gave me a bootable floppy. I was not able to install it because I needed to have 98 on the HD first and then I could add xp.

What steps should I take now BB? or should I reconfigure the steps already given?

This is a link to the case I got... not that you would be interested in it. If I had found your WarBirds post sooner I would have bought that MaxTop and a few other things from Newegg.

http://www.dealsonic.com/po13atxmidto2.html

NOW THIS IS INTERESTING!!

A guy on Ebay is selling bootable disks. One of the things he says is, A MUST FOR ANYONE WHO IS BUILDING OR UPGRADING A COMPUTER.

What do you think of this guys idea?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2751001270&category=31509

ZX

thanks for the interest in my problem BB. I really do appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 01:54:38 AM by ZXMAW »

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2003, 06:19:22 PM »
Originally posted by Citabria
PC box as in pentium4 3 ghz w ati radeon 256mb 9800 pro and a gig of ram :)

Geez, that's overkill. I think my PIII-850 with geforce4 and 768ram will continue to work just fine...

Offline BB Gun

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2003, 02:05:28 PM »
Don't bother getting that boot disk... shady, and it looks like you need to really understand what its doing before you're safe to use it, or at least to be able to do something once the computer is booted.

IF you have a win98 boot disk (that loads a CDROM driver) and a copy of a Win98 CD - figure out WHICH hard drive would cause  you the least pain to reformat, and then reformat and load windows on that particular HD.   Or borrow one and do what was outlined previously.  Or buy yet another one.  A 30 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor at Newegg is only 55 bucks.  Replace your older, slower 10 MB drive.

BB
My Pics
My daughter

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2003, 06:39:22 PM »
All this talk about new boxes but no mention of the new AMD 64 bit processor. Will it help AH2? Will it run AH2 at all? Was this covered in another thread I missed?

I'm upgrading myself but not 'til after Christmas. Threads like this give me good info on what to look at when I'm shopping.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94252&highlight=AMD+processor

Found it :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 11:15:58 PM by Twist »
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline DmdMac

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2003, 06:35:06 PM »
I'm not likely to run out and buy one.  If my machine can't run AH2, I'll have to weigh it against my financial concerns.  Roof and food first, school and education second, fun and games is, unfortunately, farther down the list.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 08:47:07 PM by DmdMac »

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2003, 12:49:01 PM »
Me? I'm buying a new soap box when AH-II is finally released. The old one I had is dang wore out. ;)