Author Topic: New Film: Tom Cruise in the Battle of Britain?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
New Film: Tom Cruise in the Battle of Britain?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2003, 02:50:08 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

What bugs me most are uniforms and haircuts... I figure... if they can't get the simple stuff like this right, the rest is even more difficult to believe.

I remember reading something as to the fact that the movie/tv industry wasnt allowed to copy uniforms exactly ... (anyone else remember this?)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2003, 03:01:23 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
I remember reading something as to the fact that the movie/tv industry wasnt allowed to copy uniforms exactly ... (anyone else remember this?)

I rather doubt it... as far as I can tell, JAG is spot on. Plus... there are a few movies that got it right... Men of Honor, A Few Good Men, even TopGun looked correct.
sand

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2003, 03:28:28 PM »
Ah Top Gun movie mistakes. The biggest mistake was the fact that they only spotted bogies when they were about 500 yards away. Imagine that in AH. This in an F14 which can track 20 targets 200 milies away.  Still I really enjoyed the movie. Fast jets do it for me every time.

As for the BoB movie, well Cruise is a warbird fan, he owns a P51 after all.  But this quote from the webpage. Well I hope it's not indicative of the film.

Based on a book proposal by historian-author Alex Kershaw (The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice) that has been garnering buzz around Tinseltown, The Few would see Cruise starring as Billy Fiske, an Olympic athlete and pilot who, because he was also part British, defied U.S. neutrality laws in 1940 to lead a small group of American aviators to aid the Brits' ailing Royal Air Force, which was being outgunned by the invading Luftwaffe fighters.

The RAF sustained heavy losses in the early days of the war, and Britain was unable to persuade the U.S. to send its own fighters. That prompted Prime Minister Winston Churchill to launch a secret mission to recruit civilian American flyboys to fight against Germany.

At the risk of being thrown into prison back home, a small group of aces heeded the call and joined the RAF. (Spoiler alert: Fiske was the first American pilot killed in action during aerial combat in WWII.)  

That blurb contains so many inaccuracies, 'ailing Royal Air Force', 'outgunned by the invading Luftwaffe fighters', 'a secret mission to recruit civilian American flyboys'.  I must have been reading the wrong books all these years.

I suspect that Kershaw's book is a little more accurate.  It has the potential to be a very good film and is a story that deserves to be told. Americans did fight in the BofB but not that many. Later when the Eagle Squadrons were formed might make a more bankable movie.

Ironically now days WW2 films have the potential to be more accurate than they ever were.  There are so many restored warbirds out there including Luftwaffe. There have never been so many restored WW2 military vehicles and AFV's available. Every year in Kent Southern England  there is a military vehicle meet which attracts over 3000 entrants. No more will we see M3's doubling as German and Patton tanks as Tigers.   With CGI techniques you can make anything fly so in theory authenticity is possible.  But you never know how it will turn out. Look how badly wrong they got Pearl Harbour.  The worst movie I ever saw for inaccuracy was one made in the sixties by the British I might add, where the RAF used real ME109's, actually Spanish Buchons, which fought out unrealistic dogfights with Luftwaffe marked model SPITFIRES!  I nearly died laughing.  

Michael Mann the director is known for his style over substance. I personally would prefer a British director, maybe Ridley Scott although Spielberg could do justice to it too.  But really I wonder how come the British don't make decent war films anymore rather than moaning that the Yanks distort everything a la U257.

Whatever, we will all go to see won't we? How can we resist all those Spitfires and Hurricanes and 109's.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2003, 03:38:45 PM »
It was the British Isles themselves that sealed the win.  

When some people say that America could have fought Germany single handed then where would they fly from?  America?

Anyway, what planes shall we see in this film?  P51s?  Spitfires dogfighting Ju87s?  I just hope they go for accuracy rather than Hollywood inaccuracy.  They'll most likely introduce a love scene, perhaps downed German searching for sausages or something :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 03:42:15 PM by Replicant »
NEXX

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2003, 06:34:56 PM »
As long as I dont hear. Remember p40's cant out run zero's so dont even try. It might be a credible movie.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2003, 06:49:40 PM »
thats bf109s

as long as they dont have any cannons on the hurricanes and spits or 109s outturning either...or anything else blatanly wrong i'll enjoy it...or get my 10 dollars worth

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2003, 06:53:22 PM »
I love it in fighter-jet movies when they are all flying around at 20k going 500 mph with their oxygen masks dangling-I don't think this applies to top gun, (i dont really remember) but a lot of other movies have this.

Another thing, like in top gun, they take american equipment, such as a an f-5 or sherman tank, re-paint it, then call it a tiger or mig-28:D

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2003, 06:56:20 PM »
You also have to remember, most of these Special Effects companies, dont build there own models. They purchase them. It saves them countless hours when they can hop right into the actual animation.

But OTOH, with so many 3D model websites, ie- TurboSquid, Despona, etc. Turning out so many 3D models, most of the companies probably see "109"  and dont bother checking if it is the right variant.

And to tell you the truth most of them probably dont care.

I really like the Movie "Dark Blue World", But I still get a giggle every time they show the 109 from the cockpit. The freakin Revi is on the wrong side of the cockpit.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2003, 12:35:03 AM »
If you're looking for something good to watch get the "Piece of Cake" DVDs.

It's on DVD?! I've been looking for that series for a while - I've read all the books, but as a kid I could never stay up late enough to catch the programmes. I don't think they released it over here, which is strange considering it is British. Got any links? Cheers.

Found it. Looks like they didn't release it over here, so I'll order from the US.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 12:40:12 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2003, 01:15:13 AM »
It's a case of the budget.

Often it's just easier ( especially before real good CGI), to just substitute a M84 for a tiger etc. I guess producers just work the numbers that only a very small number of viewers will notice things like that. Especially if it's not vital for the plot, and if it's just not possible to use the real things. (there aren't that many real 109's/Spitfire Mk1's around)

For me if your gonna do it, do it properly. SPR, Band of Brothers etc etc. did a fantastic job. At least they tried to recreate german AFV etc.

Cruise will have a sizeable budget, so hopefully they'll have a go and do the right thing.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2003, 03:13:54 AM »
Originally posted by udet
It was actually Goering who won it, for the British :)

Actually, it was Hitler.  Hitler forced Goering to concentrate on London and other urban areas rather than factories/airfields.  Or at least that's what I've always read.

Is this not true?  Have I been reading revisionist history? :)

curly

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2003, 04:16:01 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
Actually, it was Hitler.  Hitler forced Goering to concentrate on London and other urban areas rather than factories/airfields.  Or at least that's what I've always read.

Is this not true?  Have I been reading revisionist history? :)

curly

It was really Winston, the man was a brilliant politician.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2003, 04:59:56 AM »
Originally posted by Pei
It's Hollywood, not history. Most people know the difference, even if they don't really care that much.

well, could you tell that this "most of people" PLS;)

we can laugh about mistakes in movies, but if somone not care about historical  background. Who not interest history. After som time if you ask him about about historical detail/store. He will remember only "true " from cinema movie not from history book.

Most of  knowledge about ww2 "regular citizens" get from hollywood movies, not from book. Special kids

And we have Jon Bon Jovi who broke enigma codes and ben Aflec who hard fight with 109's in 303 squadron;)
Fighter pilots from PH who just grab B25 and fly bomber ride to Tokyo;)

If "regular looker" is not ww2 history freak take everything from hollywood as a thrue.

Somone remember how hollywood deal with ancient greek and roman myths?;) hercules and xena;) and tell after that kids what was true;)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2003, 06:12:57 AM »
Originally posted by vorticon
thats bf109s

Well that depends,  this is one of those fun arguments that rages from time to time.  All the 109 models up to the D were Bf109's no argument but once the name was changed to Messerschmitt AG in 1938 it becomes interchangeable depending on your point of view. So I think both are acceptable from the Emil onwards.

Having said that, does anyone really think that the F16 is really the Lockheed-Martin F16 or the F15 the Boeing F15 Eagle.

On the point of who won the Battle of Britain, frankly it was the RAF and Dowding, (not our Dowding).  True, the Luftwaffe didn't have a strategic air force and it was mishandled by Goering and Hitler but in the end it was the pilots combined with good organisation and leadership that won it for the British.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 06:20:04 AM by cpxxx »

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2003, 12:20:10 PM »
Originally posted by Torque
It was really Winston, the man was a brilliant politician.

Torque you dog!  Hblair told me you had been arrested for impersonating a girl scout, but I knew it was a lie because you won't eat cookies.

When are you coming back to the main arena?

curly