Author Topic: Where is the gun recoil?  (Read 300 times)

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2000, 04:16:00 PM »
THE Torque!

not torque!  

(good one lol  )

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2000, 05:56:00 PM »
Most of the time you dont notice it. But sometimes with nose high and just about stalling you can really see the effect of a long burst.

-towd_

Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »
i have a reference to the c hog in a book where the main point the guy mentioned about the plane was its incredible effect on the plane . i.e. it would loose air speed in a dive even !! now im not a engineer but the c hog recoil is almost unnoticable . now funk tested it and he thinks it was right. ( no math shown id like to see it)

so in my lay mans oppinion the hog c's  recoil from 4 fast firing 20 mm cannon is almost nonconcequentual but pilots notes point it out as excessive ( in the real world )    

so i think its probly modeled wrong!!!
sheesh its simple :but ill get abuse for saying so

wulf_pilot

Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2000, 08:32:00 PM »
Torque is there.
since im in aviation class and we did a whole chapter on just torque i think i know what im talking about
any other REAL pilots here.
massive torque occurs at high angles of attack, high rpm, and low airspeed.
its there.
also i dont know if they model it but wingtip vortices are created at high angles of attack and low speed ie-taking off.  Try taking off in a spit or 109 rihght behind a b-17 and you'll get tossed, this is in real life i dont know about in game.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2000, 09:56:00 PM »
I doubt that the effects of other planes on the slipstream are modeled at all. If it were, you would see at lot more spins as slow speed fighters were flying through all the prop wash in a big furball.

I was lucky to fly a few dog-fights at Air Combat USA and almost sh*t   the first time I went through the other plane's prop wash. My plane just departed into a hard side slip and started to torque over. Fortunately there was enough airspeed to carry through to clean air before it got any worse.

Midnight

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2000, 10:36:00 PM »
Bah.

I taxied a 172 behind a B-17 at Scholes once (not the first time either).

Now DATS prop wash. Swore the plane was gonna flip over when he throttle up to move to the active.

Salute to those brave souls who taxi light planes behind large commuters!  

- Jig

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2000, 10:39:00 PM »
Yup..

recoil has been tuned down,i used to be able to use guns on p51 to back my ride up to the Hot Rearm when i over shot it by a bit. Using guns for reverse on planes used to work  

Dog out........

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2000, 02:09:00 AM »

Originally posted by Wardog:
Yup..

recoil has been tuned down,i used to be able to use guns on p51 to back my ride up to the Hot Rearm

You still can, I just did that Offline tonight after reading this. I throttled back after getting a forward roll, fired the guns, and back I went  

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Where is the gun recoil?
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2000, 05:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by -towd_:
i have a reference to the c hog in a book where the main point the guy mentioned about the plane was its incredible effect on the plane . i.e. it would loose air speed in a dive even !! now im not a engineer but the c hog recoil is almost unnoticable . now funk tested it and he thinks it was right. ( no math shown id like to see it)

so in my lay mans oppinion the hog c's  recoil from 4 fast firing 20 mm cannon is almost nonconcequentual but pilots notes point it out as excessive ( in the real world )    

so i think its probly modeled wrong!!!
sheesh its simple :but ill get abuse for saying so

Now that would do good for those who blazes 200 rounds with one trigger pull