Author Topic: Filter on private channels?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Filter on private channels?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2000, 11:23:00 AM »
Look folks,
the filter was developed probably in haste in response to a growing crisis.  The public channels would inevitably fall prey to some juvenile who would spit out expletives (usually the Amurrican English ones)in an unsophisticated manner, annoying most people and offending those with children or small animals nearby.
Currently, my guess is that it is a "Carlin Filter", named after George Carlin's routine on the seven words you can't say over the air (which routine, ironically, became a sort of guideline for broadcasters confronted with FCC's vague "Community STandards" policy) -- diddly toejam Piss bellybutton Dick  bigtoe and perhaps squeak.
Will it get more sophisticated, and filter only specific channels?  Probably.  Will people find their way around this thing to make their most heartfelt verbal acts and express the deepest dysphemisms of our language.  Sure.  Will the two-week trial "This game sucks diddlying dick, amazinhunks!" buffer flooders be tamed a bit? I certainly hope so.
Jeezus, you guys whine about obscenity, then about the anti-obscenity measures.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2000, 11:37:00 AM »
What Dago and Jedi said.

<S> HTC, you've got a lot of b... uh... mmmm... courage. Yeah, you've got a lot of courage.  

I'm gonna like this new filter, will force us to become a tiny bit more sophisticate.  

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 09-23-2000).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2000, 11:48:00 AM »
I am scary Joe.
(Lets just hope they never dig up my backyard)

Yeager  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nuku:
By whose standards are we maintaining the list of "offensive" words on the host?  "Ass" is unacceptable, but "squeak" is.  "Inflamed, puss-filled, hairy, anal wart" is also allowed.

Why the host-based, all-channel muting censor?  Why not put a real *filter* on the Rx end of the USER's FE (the host has better things to process)?  This would allow you to monitor the level of language (and quickly add new words) without waiting for a host update.  Plus, you could type in a profane word on accident by typo without getting censored, just muted.

Better yet, why mute the whole line?  The system already detects the "colorful adjectives": just yank em.

The FCC's standards? They actualy may aply here.I don't know I don't realy care bad words don't bother me, heck I use them myself sometimes, I do however respect a parents wish for his child not to see that kind of language. I just can't believe that people are freaking out over the filter.  It's HT's game, HT's server, HT's service people don't have the right to cuss here, or do anything here for that matter, with out HT's aproval.

Anybody ever think that maybe HT doesn't like that kind of language? hmm?  This whole argument is sensless.

udie

Nuku

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2000, 02:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by Udie:
 I just can't believe that people are freaking out over the filter.  It's HT's game, HT's server, HT's service people don't have the right to cuss here, or do anything here for that matter, with out HT's aproval.
udie

It's not the filter/censor that I'm concerned about.  It's how it goes about its business.
It mutes on all channels based on select words.  Words that are *unknown* to the users, not based on any formal guidelines, and is a subjective list anyways.

Tomorrow, I could get muted for "Well, we're screwed".  Do you know if you can get away with the phrase "What the hell you were thinking?".  How about "Wow udie, that was a damn good shot!".

Do any of the 3 phrases above require muting the speaker on ALL channels for 10 minutes?

That's why I'm pushing for a client end filter, with a default list as part of the basic download.

But you're right, this is a silly debate.  Parents concerned about children seeing cuss words while playing a game where you obtain entertainment from shooting other people is downright perverse.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by Yeager:
I am scary Joe.
(Lets just hope they never dig up my backyard)

Yeager  
Yea they just might find all them old ABBA and Partridge family albums you tried to hide

NUTTZ

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2000, 03:29:00 PM »
What a refreshing change...I like it. Maybe the squad filter could be droped but other than that...WTG HT!  

Lars