Author Topic: Go Alabama, get into those deep pockets!  (Read 232 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Go Alabama, get into those deep pockets!
« on: November 14, 2003, 01:44:03 PM »
Its great to read about big judgments like this, but really, nobody who works at Exxon is going to be paying this tab - it'll be coming from the stockholders who may or may not know that they had Exxon stock (ie mutual fund investors).  In otherwords, the payment could be coming out of your retirement funds and you don't even know it.

But I am glad to see the state doing its job and protecting the public assets.  I wish Florida would be more aggressive at the phosphate mining companies such as Coronet Industries and Anderson Suwanee.

Go Alabama!

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 02:11:37 PM »
I hinted at this company in another thread.  Find that thread and you can see the connection.  Only I wasnt talking about alabama.  What they do covers most of the midwest.  Thats all I really know, seeing as how the midwest was my responsibility.

This company makes philip morris look like saints.  oh wait that was my ex's company....eeeek.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 02:35:51 PM »
Alabama has to cover there budget deficit somhow.  Voters turned down an increase in taxes in exchange for stripping down state services IE troops social workers govt employees.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 03:02:22 PM »
Gunslinger,

You are absolutely correct that we turned down a 1.2 Billion dollar tax package increase. Call me backwards or whatever but if they would have shown me where my money was going to be "earmarked" for education as the self-righteous, lying bastard "Republican" that got put in office last election had said then I would have voted for it and so would the rest of the state.

However what they didn't do was show accountability for the over-spending and "no-bidder" contracts that still go unaccounted for here. Fortunately I have a nice income and live in a very nice section of the state where the schools are funded by high property values.

Another reason it was voted down was the citizens of the state were going to be taxed on money that we were already paying to the Federal government in income tax by the state of Alabama. I am not the brightest law person in the world but isn't double taxation illegal?

If we can get people who are business people to run our state and not the friggin attorneys who are in office now things will run much better. So at least we have an Attorney General who is not afraid of the big companies and is always looking at the letter of the law. Instead of looking the other way like previous people in his position did.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"