Author Topic: vox / soundcard issue.  (Read 232 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
vox / soundcard issue.
« on: November 25, 2003, 05:17:28 AM »
This has been bugging me for such a long time.........

When I load Aces High and get into the MA my mic seems to be very, very quiet, so quiet no-one can hear what I'm saying (squaddies prolly think this is a good thing).  The only way I've found to fix it is ALT-TAB out of AH, bring up the windows volume controls and reset mic input level to maximum (I also uncheck and recheck +20db).  When I ALT-TAB back in everything is working fine and the mic is great quality......for about 10 minutes when it'll suddenly go quiet again.  At no time does the slider in windows volume control move from max, to reset it I have to move the slider down to minimum and back up to max.

The only other prog I use the mic in is Yahoo voice conf, Yahoo has its own volume control and as I'm talking I can watch it reset itself to a lower level.  It's DAAAMN annoying.  Yahoo has a level meter visible and I think it resets the input level when the level meter goes into the red.......the thing is I'm not overly loud with mic volume up to max, I don't overmodulate or distort at all, it's just Yahoo deciding that I'm too loud.

How do I stop the mic input level from resetting itself?

Oh and, uh, I'm also not exactly sure what kinda soundcard I have.  I know it's an SB Live! that came with the PC but I don't know what kind.  I've tried updating drivers from the SB site, considering it's a cheap card I figured it'd be something like a Live! Value but every set of drivers I've tried has simply stopped the soundcard working at all (thanks Christ for XPs rollback feature).

Help!