Author Topic: MG  (Read 219 times)

TT

MG
« on: December 08, 1999, 06:50:00 PM »
 After some testing with the MG on the 190, it seems to me that the MG ammo is a waste of weight. Since we get to chooze our loadout, could this be set up so we can leave the 13MM behind

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
MG
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 1999, 12:54:00 AM »
Well, yes and no, IMO. But an option to choose would be welcome.

After all, weren't they HE from time to time ?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
MG
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 1999, 04:16:00 AM »
Hristo: I think those have been AP or APHE.

2x13mm is not always just a waste, I have vulched 3 kills with them only, also shot two kills from the skies with MGs only.
(MG if what, is nice against C47s, doesn't have to use up cannon)
I wonder how many times those have been a help for me when shooting with cannons.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
MG
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 1999, 04:29:00 AM »
Right, Fishu.

I should have pointed out the "...HE" suffix, not just HE. However, this is the value of MG 131. It had explosive rounds too, not only AP rounds as some might think.

214CaveJ

MG
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 1999, 05:59:00 AM »
I'd like to have the option of choosing what type of ammo is loaded out, irregardless of aircraft type.  If a bird carried AP, HE, incindiary, ball, or a mix of all of the above in combat back then, I'd like to have the same options.

Werewolf

MG
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 1999, 08:27:00 AM »
Cave I agree to that, but it has to be restricted to historical usage IMHO.

Werewo

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
MG
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 1999, 10:06:00 AM »
What were the historical loads for the various nations and fighter weapons?

I know of this info which is from a German 1944 manual http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-am.html
Basically...
Belt compositions for fighter guns:
 13mm (MG131) - 1 AP (tracer), 2 HE (tracer).
 20mm (MG151) - 2 "Mine" HE (self destruct), 2 HE/I or I (tracer, self destruct), 1 SAP/HE or SAP/I.
 30mm (MK108) - 1 "Mine" HE.
(Note: this is the "suggested" composition, unit commanders are encouraged to choose a mix that they feel is best.)

What I would really like to see is an option to remove tracers from the ammo mix altogether. I understand many pilots didn't use them so they wouldn't warn their targets they were being shot at.

Then maybe the options "ground targets", "fighter targets" or "bomber targets" for ammo mixes. "ground" would be all AP,  "fighter" mostly AP with some HE and I, and "bomber" mostly HE with some AP and I.

Exact round types would have to be historically accurate for each weapon/fighter. Eg: I doubt the Americans commonly used a HE round in the .50 calibre Brownings...

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 12-09-1999).]