Author Topic: Spotted a mistake in the Corsair.  (Read 614 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Spotted a mistake in the Corsair.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 1999, 03:51:00 PM »
Indian;

cc Thanks!

I have tried that, but I was repulsed by the appearance.  It just does not look like a cockpit all swished up like that (More like an X-Wing fighter     ).  

Takes me out of the game and I don't like that.  I prefer to deal with the bad frontal view, as a short coming (weakness) of the airplane.  

Morbid;

Thank you also, for your reply.

I kind of had the idea pretty much as you describe, in general terms.  

I was just wondering more as a comparison of the Spit to other planes of the era.

Comparing all the cockpit views presented in AH, IMO the Spit is by far the worst.  As an example; the c.205 I believe had a "HUGE" (Roman     ) nose, but has a better forward view than the Spit.  The F4U I thought should have the poorest visibilty in this respect, doesn't.  

I really have no clue what this view should be and AH is pretty darn accurate at such things, from what I can tell. Coupled with the fact that I am about the only one to <Deep Breath> Whine about it.  

My question should have been stated more clearly.
Is the forward view depicted for the Spit in AH accurate refering to what the actual pilot would see in the real plane?

Again, thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 12-11-1999).]

drdoyo

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 1999, 11:52:00 AM »
Dracon, to add to Windle's post, In the real aircraft the seat hight is also adjustable. Are you sure that the seat you sat in was not all the way down?

------------------
Drdoyo, Lt. J.G.
VF-17 the Jolly Rogers
8X

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 1999, 12:55:00 PM »
Mino:

Spit had the most horrible front view on the ground of any of the Allied planes. the burp and turn was vital among spit pilots lining up their runway landing. And everyone who wrote of a transition between Hurricanes and spit's commented upon how bad it was. The spit needed almost a 20' swish to see what was ahead of it. Hence they had to burp the throttle and swish the tail to line up.

Interestingly though I saw on that link someone posted about the captured me-109 that the spit pilots considered the 109 WORSE than the spit. I think our 109 as it is currently is FAR too generous in it's spacious console and over the nose views. I feel more luxurios than I do in the Mustang. Does NOT feel like the cramped little cockipt it really was.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.