Author Topic: Post-beta questions  (Read 202 times)

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Post-beta questions
« on: December 12, 1999, 07:38:00 AM »
The main AH page states "After the open beta, an unlimited usage account will be $29.95 per month excluding some special events."  I read this as meaning that some special events will cost more to particiapte in (understandable).

I am still struggling with cost-justifying a $30 /month membership (yes I am currently on a tight budget and have a strict manager (read:wife)).  Actually, it has more to do with my playing time vs. cost than the actual cost, my fun time is quite limited.  Also I am not a hard-core simmer,more like soft-core.

I have a feeling that "special events" here would be very well-planned and executed events that would give me great pleasure to be able to participate in. If, at the time of a special event, I was not a current member, would I still be able to pay for the special event and participate in it?  Or would the special events be "members-only"?  I am thinking that it would be nice to be able to participate in the practices and special events without having an actual membership (if that's the road I choose), but that might be a billing nightmare and impossible to do for HTC.

Like I said, I have not come to a decision about becoming a member or not.  And I would gladly pay a few months to become an active member to practice and participate in special events.  Yes, I know that not playing AH a lot might mean I am fodder and a potential detriment to my team, but I would give it my best, and as stated would glady pay a few months membership to practice practice practice.

As a final note I'd like to give a "job well done" to HTC.  My limited time playing the beta has been fun so far and it's looking like a great game with a ton of more fun down the road.

Fury

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
Post-beta questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 1999, 09:58:00 AM »
Although probably not HTC intention I think allowing people to pay for events despite not being subscribers would be an excellent idea i think many would pay $1-2 for 2 hours entertainment. I'm not sure of the practical implications and economically i think you would have to have the special full blown scenario events for subscribers only in case of losing to much custom but i'm sure a weekly scenario light/warnight type setuo would bring in extra cash and mabye a few more subscribers.

P.S. you should be able to brush up your skills on H2H and i'd thourghly recommend joining a ladder.  

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Post-beta questions
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 1999, 09:54:00 PM »
The additional charge for special events is not in lieu of the normal subscription rate.  It will be a surcharge on top, albeit a small one.  Not all special events will carry this charge.  The main purpose of it is that we don't have the capacity to run all these events ourselves and therefore will rely on players to handle a lot of it.  While rewarding in and of itself, it is a lot of work and we think the organizers should see some financial reimbursement for their efforts and time.  Our support will still be involved and we also need to cover our expenses to handle these events.  Another potential use of these funds is to sponsor prizes for participants.  

While we do plan to keep this surcharge small, one added benefit for organizers is that it will help them attract those who really do want to participate and keep away those who are content to sign up but then don't follow up on their commitment to the event.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations