Author Topic: Best plane for a newbie  (Read 3284 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Best plane for a newbie
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2004, 07:59:56 AM »
Originally posted by zmeg
The only thing you'll ever learn in a spitfire is how to be yet another spit dweeb.

Nah, man, its a trainer for the Yak9U, which is a trainer for the 109F, G2, and G10. ;)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Best plane for a newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2004, 08:05:48 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Nah, man, its a trainer for the Yak9U, which is a trainer for the 109F, G2, and G10. ;)

which in turn are trainers for the la7...

:aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Best plane for a newbie
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2004, 08:26:32 AM »
FW190D sonar.

All the bases close to the fight are porked to 25% fuel at all times in the current MA setup. So step back and load a Dora with 75% fuel and a DT.

You will get to 20K easily and when leveled out, be untouchable. Till you chose to engage that is.

When close to the reds, drop the ex tank, and shift-F to get to burning the fuel out of back tank. Learn to pick and choose at that point.

Any La7 over 10K is what you want. Any blue plane at any Alt is just as good. P38's can climb so don't get hung on a rope.

Follow that and you'll have fun.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Best plane for a newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2004, 12:48:50 PM »
When I first started I had a great time in the A6M5b -- which has about the fastest turn rate in the game. Most new pilots will have a hard time managing E, which makes slow planes like this very easy to manage. It will also help teach SA (boom and zoom is the only real threat to a zeke), and allow the pilot to pull off evasives and reversals before requiring him to master advanced ACM.

-pellik

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Best plane for a newbie
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2004, 02:12:36 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
i dunno about that zmeg... a lot of what i've learned from spits has transferred over to the planes like p-51, la7 or 109.

The Spit forces you to learn ACM and SA because you simply can't run away from every situation.  Guys who only have "running" as their defensive knowledge have problems when plan A fails.  Someone recently said that the La7 rots your ACM and that's probably true....

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Best plane for a newbie
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2004, 02:15:11 PM »
only if the guy flying one has turned into a scorewhoring dweeb. and then they move onto FW's.

beside i think you're giving the majority of la7 drivers too much credit for even knowing acm to begin with.

:)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 02:28:38 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798