Author Topic: Rudder Pedals  (Read 664 times)

Offline Phantom4

• Copper Member
Rudder Pedals
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:22:03 PM »
After many years of flight sim and over 3 years of AH, I finally bought a set of pedals.  I used twisty grip for many years and then went to X45 two years ago.  To get "right rudder" you twist right or sweeze right.  So with pedals you should push right pedal (and that does generate right rudder). But to my brain, after all those years of twisting right and squeezing right, this just seems backwards and so I am push left when I want right rudder and pushing right when I want left rudder.   Any tricks I can use to get my "thinking" in line with correct usage?  I know I could reverse the input and just do it backwards but I thought I should "learn" to do it the correct way.

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 01:36:45 PM »
I'd say take the time to do it the right way. You freak out a flight instructor if you ever decide at some point to take flight lessons. It's not as life threatening now in a flight sim to make mistakes as it is in real life.

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:20:07 PM »
I agree with Wolf.  It took a short while for me to get used to them, too.  But it's very natural in short order.

Splash1
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:23:32 PM by Dennis »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:42:35 AM »
It's not as life threatening now in a flight sim to make mistakes as it is in real life.

Well, he made it through 'Nam in a F4:D

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 01:11:38 PM »
As far as "thinking" goes:

If you want to go right, your right foot is used.
If you want to go left, the left foot is used.

Easy enough, huh?

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 03:26:40 PM »
I use ch pro pedals. I have mine set up backwards because it feels natural. Since I am no where near being able to afford pilot lessons, it is fine for now. Hopefully I will be forced to switch them some day.

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 08:22:34 PM »
try making maneuvers that require alot of rudder: on approach, crab the plane (yaw to one side, apply opposite aileron to keep from turning); make slow stalls, applying rudder once you are nose hi and slow; watch the nose fall to the side you have rudder applied. Shoot at the drones, moving nose around with the rudder as you shoot. Also, you may want to scale your rudder inputs way down, I found the pedals to be overly sensitive with the sliders at normal levels.

Offline Phantom4

• Copper Member
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 11:13:21 AM »
Yeah Slash, but I was just along for the ride, I didn't get to drive.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Rudder Pedals
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 06:12:02 PM »
When I first switched to pedals I had that exact same problem. The way I got myself to get used to right foot right rudder was to sort of pull with my left foot. After a while you'll just get used to the pedals and you'll never want to go back to twisty stick.

-pellik