Author Topic: Need some help...  (Read 248 times)

Offline LWACE

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Need some help...
« on: March 20, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »
Hey guys, just pickd up a Geforce FX 5200, is there any other drivers other than what came on the disk that i should install, or anything special i should do? Seems to be picken up the card, games etc run ALOT smoother.

I was gonna upgrade RAM, but i guess this POS gateway has rambus ram or somethin, really expensive and it sucks, none of the computer stores had any instock here, im at 128mb ram:( , i wanted to go up to 512 but its gonna cost me 120$ per stick for 256, so im thinkin itll be cheaper just to get a mother board that supports DDR.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Need some help...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 07:10:47 PM »
sand

Offline LWACE

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Need some help...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 08:09:36 PM »
Thanks!, is there any fine tuning or anything i need to do, or is it all self done?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Need some help...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 03:22:35 AM »
This is in the wrong forum.

Good News, you can install Omega Drivers that are tweaked and work nicely. A new set of nVidia drivers is due soon.

Bad News, the FX5200 is a POS vid card. I have one in my Dell. Even tweaked out you will be dissapointed in it's performance. Save up $150 and look around for deals at places like newegg.com  and tigerdirect.com . You might want to look in a few tech forums, I have seen some great deals on mismarked cards in there.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Need some help...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 11:29:17 AM »
I took a look at the site... compared the Unreal Tournament images... mebbe it's just me but I can see very little difference.
sand

Offline LWACE

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Need some help...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 11:32:53 AM »
Yea, i was kinda thinkin so, but its WAY better than my old POS Gforce 2 and it was only 80$ so i pickd it up. I was expecting better frame rates than what im gettin but with only ancient 128mb of ram its not suprising, ima upgrade to 512 next. Thanks for the help guys!

Also, im putting together another system besides this one, ive heard ATI 9600 is a pretty good card for a cheap price, any opinions on it?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 11:35:29 AM by LWACE »

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Need some help...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 12:00:22 PM »
i have a ti4600 and 9600pro card and i tested bolth in ah2 in my 2500+ amd I figured the 9600 would blow my old 4600 away but to tell the truth ive got better fps and a smoother game when using the ti4600 (they dont have ah2 optimized for the ati cards yet)

As for having rambus theres nothing wrong with that, its actually faster then most ddr ram , just steping up your ram will make a big improvement in your system.(exspecially if your using win XP)
That should get you by till the new 64bit tecnology gets standardized and the prices settle down on it.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation