Author Topic: A Look Back in Time  (Read 427 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A Look Back in Time
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:37:17 PM »

Thats my Grandpa!, This is the only photo we have of him in Europe, My Uncle Dave put this in the local newspaper here.

Ever since he passed away in Dec 2000, My family has been scouring the Internet looking for info about his tenure in Europe. My father ordered his medals which will be placed into a Shadowbox. He was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge.

Please share pictures of your WW2 Relatives!

Edit-In this picture he is my age, 23. And I'm trying to persuade my other Grandpa to give me some of his old Photo's. Unlike my Grandpa Joe, He is full of stories from Europe.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 01:42:45 PM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: A Look Back in Time
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 12:52:19 AM »
Originally posted by Nefarious

Please share pictures of your WW2 Relatives!

Punt!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline loser

• Silver Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 10:03:13 AM »
Cool. I will have to scan a picture of my grandpa.

They actually showed a picture of him on the History Channel about 2 months ago.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 12:21:50 AM »
punt!

Offline Sh00ter

• Zinc Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 12:56:23 AM »
My g/f's father served under Patton.
She said he hated the man..and hated the Germans until the day he died. He was gut shot by a mg and for the rest of his life he had to sleep on his stomach because if he didn't he would bleed according to my g/f's mom.
I wish I could have met him. :-( He died of black lung..he was a miner in WV. Sorry no pictures, but I thought I would let ya know of someone else who had served under Patton.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 07:57:46 AM »
Here's my Dad's Signal Corps card from 1943.  He was about 32 at the time, and worked for Raytheon Corporation and the Radio and Signal Corps.  The card below is a selective service registration card from WWII.

Dad worked on radar in planes and on ships.  He would go along on some B-25 Mitchell flights to adjust the radar and make sure it was working.  One flight was a routine submarine patrol in the Gulf of Mexico, and the pilot let him take the controls for a while.

He said those pilots were some crazy guys, and just about scared him to death the way they flew, going into steep dives and flying so low the propellers literally clipped the treetops.  He was glad to get back on the ground.

Seem to be having trouble posting a pic.  Please bear with me.

Les
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 08:03:42 AM by Leslie »

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 08:30:20 AM »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 11:15:03 AM »
Got plenty of 'stuff' I can snap picture of from my grandfather, but most of the pictures are still with my uncle - some great ones too.  ;)

Classic picture of him and a buddy, M1's slung over their shoulders, holding up a Nazi flag and grinning like evil sunsa*****es.  ;)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 11:24:15 AM »
Well? Lets see em!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 10:09:37 PM »

This is My grandmother Jean Hyman, I beleive she was about 19 or 20 in this picture. My Grandma had never met my Grandpa Joe (Pictured Above) Until after the war. So When this picture was taken, she was dating a P51 Pilot who trained Pilots stateside.

I beleive this picture was taken at an airfield here in West Virginia, Unfortunatley I dont know where exactly. I'm gonna have to talk to her some more about this pic.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 10:21:13 PM »
Nice lookin grandma :D .

Will Korea do?

I don't have any WWII pics of my Greant Uncle but I have a korean picture of my Grandad (Moms Side)

He was pretty young, he mapped out Korea for the boys who went in, he left right before the war started, he set up permanent stations in South Korea too.

Engineers Corp, Wish he was alive today, he died when my mom was a kid, after working for the Navy on something TOPSECRET caraccident, hit on the road while servicing his car, I still am not sure if this was an accident or Russian hit. I can dream dudes!

:)
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 10:30:11 PM »
I can't remember where he is in it..

Post and I'll start a new thread of the HUGE pic.. more detail..
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
A Look Back in Time
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 11:00:12 PM »
I'll try to get a picture of my grandfather scanned(if my mom will let me). He is quite young in the picture. He wanted desperately to join the service and fight in WWI. He was 15 when he joined, he took his older sister's birth certificate to get in. He was antonio, his sister was antonia. His dad did not discourage him "if he wants to join that bad, let him go". I never met him, he died at a young age, unfortunately, he began to drink heavily after the war, and it caught up to him. I really do not know alot about him, maybe I should try to learn more, i'll try to get that picture scanned.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)