Author Topic: numbers...  (Read 178 times)

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
numbers...
« on: December 30, 1999, 01:16:00 PM »
So this shall be my first and only whining post. I don't think i'm ever going to mention numbers online, did learn that lessons from other sims.

Today around 20:00 GMT it was 11 bishs vs. 33 rooks - that leaves me the choice of switching sides or logging off. Of course no one cares if a buff driver that only flies high alt missions wanders off, and I certainly wouldn't have helped the other side either, but I really wonder how much fun it is dogfighting a foe at 3:1 advantage.

Hmm... I try to land my missions and plan flight paths accordingly, perhaps I should switch to the side w/ highest numbers to increase life expectancy?

Az

------------------
Azrael
XO 487th BG (Heavy)
'The Gentlemen from Hell'

Offline Central

• Nickel Member
numbers...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 1999, 01:52:00 PM »
Azrael,

To live longer? You'll notice about half those guys will be at A10 -A5 trying to bounce your buddies. Why not just fly in at A20 or A25?  Bounce the bouncer :-)..
Although you will run into the occasional 30k 190 of Hristo or the 51s of Thunder and Wardog. Along with a few others. :-)

I flew in the same situation yesterday, 3/1 odds. I did get killed throughout the night. But did manage to get my 2 or 3 kills in some sorties.

When you think cons are at A20 go to A25 or even higher... and if i recall i do remember Hitech saying one day "Geez, Put this thing in auto and walk away for a min, AND IM AT 40K!!"

No better way to engage a fight at that alt, and with your terms :-)

Central
Dickweed FG
 http://bombergroup.com

[This message has been edited by Central (edited 12-30-1999).]

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
numbers...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 1999, 03:58:00 PM »
Azrael-

I agree with your point on the numbers. I and a few others have stated the same thing. It can't be fun to overwhelm all the time (can it?). I usually go for the side with the lowest numbers or in the most trouble. Today that was Bishop, tomorrow might be one of the others.

To Central-

The only two problems I have with 40K B17's is:

1. It didn't happen in real life with a full bombload, and;
2. No fighter in the game can fly at that alt and make successful runs at them.

Result? One buff can pretty much shut down a field, and there is little that the whole defending fighting force can do. I understand about making buffing more appetizing, but perhaps the balance has swung too far the wrong way?

This is not intended disrespectfully, but I hope you can see what I mean. I generally ignore buffs, but as in today's case, with only 4 fields left and a buff high over HQ, I had little choice but to pursue. I took up a hawg, and literally went dry in the tank before I could reach it. Lord, am I really gonna hafta take another B17 up to get him?

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
numbers...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 1999, 04:40:00 PM »
LOL-I flew this morning as a Knight (of course) The numbers were approximately 18 Rooks,11 Bishops and 1 Knight! I just look at it as a "target rich environment".

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline Central

• Nickel Member
numbers...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 1999, 05:08:00 PM »
Dolomite,

Your absolutely right on about that, only problem is I should have been clear on what I was commenting on :-) Azrael said "but I really wonder how much fun it is dogfighting a foe at 3:1 advantage."

Next time I will be more careful :-)

And I do see your point with the 17s.

Central
Dickweed FG
 http://bombergroup.com

[This message has been edited by Central (edited 12-30-1999).]

Offline wells

• Copper Member
numbers...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 1999, 05:36:00 PM »

Hmm... I try to land my missions and plan flight paths accordingly, perhaps I should switch to the side w/ highest numbers to increase life expectancy?

Or you could fly something like Flightsim 2000.  That should increase your life expectancy even more!  What fun!

Sorry, I had a bad day at work...had to let some fly!  Nothing personal...

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
numbers...
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 1999, 05:53:00 PM »
An interesting aspect has been added to the game that may be of interest to all. FLAK is working over the HQ BIG TIME!!!! We took 3 buffs up to hit the HQ and at the drop point we were level at 25K! Two of our three buffs were hit and went tumbling to the earth by FLAK fire. I applaude HiTech Creations for watching the aspects of the "GAME" and modifying them to make better game play. I personally think that its a time and energy trade if a buff driver goes high or low. To be safer and take a lot of time with a buff tends to water down the effect because of regeneration time and the low fast repeat runs have a gamble. Just my opinion but its like deciding with fighter is best for the type of fight you think will be most effective. I think things are really shaping up and HiTech Creations are to be appluaded!
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
numbers...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 1999, 06:08:00 PM »
Looks like I have to eat some crow. I just went through some of my sources again, and discovered that B17's did indeed operate 32K+, though with reduced accuracy. The source went on to say that "interception above this altitude was nearly impossible".

For me this puts a different spin on things. While I think 40K is excessive, 36K should be quite possible, even with a full load. Since this falls under the areas of realistic and historic I now have to publicly admit I have been wrong!

Sure we could talk about crew exhaustion or frozen parts at that alt, but then we could talk about jammed guns or faulty engines on fighters too.   For me, this puts things more into relative balance, and I will whine no more (about this  ).

Sorry to Azrael or anyone else I offended!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
numbers...
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 1999, 09:00:00 AM »
Thunder makes a good point about AI defenses affecting game play.  This could be one way to "balance" arena numbers.  The more pilots a country has, the fewer AI defenses.  So, a country with few pilots has a relatively large number of AA, and is harder to gangbang.  A country with a large number of pilots has fewer AA, and must devote more pilots to defense.

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?