Author Topic: Wanted! Aerodynamics Explanations  (Read 475 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Wanted! Aerodynamics Explanations
« on: May 11, 2004, 04:43:41 PM »
This will be for an article, or series of articles, posted on my site. I'll be taking factual information from the Constant Speed Props thread to cover some parts of a page on Flight Mechanics. By the end of the week I should have a page covering Hamilton-Standard, Curtiss Electric, and Aeroproducts props done along with basics of prop operation and some other tid-bits. The Engines page will contain information about various engine types (radials, hot-water 12's) and specs on the P&W, Wright, DB, and Merlin engines. I'll also be adding a page on running Lean-of-Peak. What I don't have is information on aerodynamics, and I'm willing to credit anyone who can chip in on this project. If you want to write a simple paragraph or a whole series of lectures on the subject, I'm willing to credit you and post it for anyone to read. The reason I'm asking for community help on this is my understanding of aerodynamics is rather limited.

You can either post your bit here, or e-mail it to me: delta6 at bigfoot dot com.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 12:14:38 PM »
Give me a specific "order" and I'll do a writeup on it, then you can see if you like it.

I know this and that, but you were so general in your request I wouldn't know where to start.

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 09:01:57 PM »
I'm a Certified Flight and Ground instructor for both single and multiengine aircraft.  I have thousands of hours of experiencing flying both turbo prop and jet aircraft, and I don't mean flight sims either. So anything I cqn do to help just let me know.
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 12:13:58 AM »
Thanks fellas!

I've already got takeoff covered between the thread I mentioned above in the AC/V forum and research I'm doing. I've also got some other stuff bashed out and ready to go on props, superchargers, and I'm starting work on a list of engines with specs. If you two are willing to write up some stuff on aerodynamics, pick a topic and start writing. Twin-engined operation (and the fun therein), what happens and why when you enter a spin, go whole hog! Pretty much any aerodynamics topic is wide open, just make sure your wife, little brother, or the guy next door can understand it. :D

To give a little idea of what I'm looking for... What are common aero questions you get that a lot of people seem to ask? What is a common misconception about a given aero principle? If you get a flight control shot away, what happens in the aero department? Hell, I can imagine a whole article on flight control damage. And don't write it as if you are talking about this game; write it so a real student pilot could understand what is going on.

Meddog, run a Q&A session with your students and write the whole mess down. That alone would provide a good article. But don't be surprised if I edit it some; typos n such :)

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 09:17:52 AM »
I can do a whole write up on multi engine aerodynamics.  One of the most misunderstood aerodynamic principles is stalls and spins, unfortunately its also the most fatal. One of the other misunderstood principles of flight is ground effect and variouse porblems associated with it .
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 09:24:39 AM by meddog »
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 10:41:32 AM »
I think this page will help a lot.
See How it Flies

I think I see where you are going with this, and it sounds like a good idea.  

FWIW, I have a BS in Aerospace engineering, and have all of my books still, so if you have a specific question, or want some book recommendations (I'll stay away from the higher math stuff) I'll be happy to send them to you.

For instance, a VERY good book with lots of general flight information, and explanations of things like rotation speed, and aerodynamic forces, is
Aerodynamics, Aeronautics and Flight Mechanics, (I have 2nd edition) By Barnes W McCormick, Wiley Publishing, 1995

Cheers,
Spitter