Author Topic: Carrier ops?  (Read 457 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Carrier ops?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2000, 02:44:00 PM »
Nexx - the tenner stands - has to be in one piece and on its gear on deck.  

Dowding - you're right - I was being kind of general in that the first Seafires were converted MkV's so in theory it should be valid to operate MkV's from the carriers until will get a pukka Seafire.

I wonder if it will be as difficult as Jeffrey Quill says it was in his book - certainly the nose high attitude is going to be intersting at flare. Think I'll need to practice those slipped curved approaches.

Skurj - yep Mossie was carrier borne  - TR Mk33 - but I think it was unarmed gun wise (not sure about that) - load was one torpedo and radar. Book I've got says it never went operational.

Sparks

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Carrier ops?
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2000, 03:38:00 PM »
The Seafire should be pretty easy to do... and they did many, many variants which were very much the equivilent of RAF types - MkV and MkIX and later.

Was HMS Ocean a  WW2 carrier?  If it was then they carried RAF Spitfire's too, mostly in the transport role.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Carrier ops?
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2000, 04:26:00 PM »
I have a nice narative of a squadron of fully armed Spitfire MkXIV's taking off of a jeep carrier in 1945 to fly into a potential combat situation.

To get carriers that have catapults we'd have to have British carriers.  Thay're the only ones who had them in WWII.

BTW, UncleBuck,
The British used Avengers, Dauntless' and the like as well.  They also had some more modern British carrier aircraft.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Carrier ops?
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2000, 04:27:00 PM »
Launching a bomber from a carrier wouldn't be too tuff.. consider Doolittle left with about 100 feet of carrier deck in front of him.

An Essex carrier was capable of upwards of 30 knots even in severe seas... add that to a 20-30 mph headwind and the height of the deck above the sea, plus factor that the launches were timed for the deck to be on the 'up-swing' in the seas as the bomber came to the end of the 'runway'. Psuedo-catapult.  

Of course; I have no idea if AH is gonna model wind and provide a wind direction indicator, let alone sea-states as per Beaufort scale. Sea-tate modeling would be a hoot tho; wouldn't it?? hehehhehe.. sure would pork Rips Cruiser's heavy gun accuracy, and make those pesky PT boats very tuff targets indeed for a cruiser or destroyer.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Carrier ops?
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2000, 12:56:00 AM »
at one time I could take off and land from a carrier with the Me 262 in both WB and AW, and additionally the F-86 and MiG in AW (though I could never get the F-86 to stop before rolling off the carrier)

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Carrier ops?
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2000, 12:57:00 AM »
A Seafire in the Pacific scored the last kill of WWII (several minutes after the Japanese surrendered I believe)

Just sayin  

- Jig