Author Topic: Distance Countdown...  (Read 673 times)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 11:32:55 PM »
If it at least dropped and increased in hundred or fifty or 25 instead of the huge and sudden changes now, it wouldn't be an issue.  But I really don't like it as it is.  There is a huge difference between 1000 and 1500, but no way to guage the fine differences as it stands now.

Please change it.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 12:10:09 AM »
I'm not finding an incredible amount of difficulty in timing in AH2.  It's a little more difficult and certainly different, but after flying the beta for several months now it kind of gels.  Rather than taking two pieces of information (the distance and closure rate in one yard increments) you have to consider three pieces of information:

(1)  Distance (now in large increments)
(2)  The closure rate prior to that distance -- for example, how fast did the plane go from 2000 to 1.5k?  That's a pretty good indication of how fast he's going to go from 1.5k to 1k
(3)  The plane's size; 1.5k is noticably smaller than 1k.  You can guestimate distance based on closure rate, plane size, and the stated distance.

Again, it's less complete than before and thus more difficult, but it is something you'll become more comfortable doing.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 05:00:49 AM »
Leviathan pretty much nailed it smack on the head.

I guess what I'm saying is a bogie could be at 1001 and the display will show 1500. That is the part that really bothers me. That extra 499 makes a difference when it comes to the split second decision making process.

Levi's 2nd Rule:

(2) The closure rate prior to that distance -- for example, how fast did the plane go from 2000 to 1.5k? That's a pretty good indication of how fast he's going to go from 1.5k to 1k

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 05:30:13 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Leviathan pretty much nailed it smack on the head.

Levi's 2nd Rule:

(2) The closure rate prior to that distance -- for example, how fast did the plane go from 2000 to 1.5k? That's a pretty good indication of how fast he's going to go from 1.5k to 1k

Provided you did spot it at 2K, because If you spoted it at 1.7 your doomed.

I find this setup is a bit to much but you already knew my opinion :D

Offline AWCHKRS

• Copper Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 08:48:06 AM »
Provided you did spot it at 2K, because If you spoted it at 1.7 your doomed.

Here is something else that the Full Realism advocates are completey forgeting in their adgenda , Their are alot of people (like me)  who are sight impaired and (wear glasses ) and have a hell of a-time looking at the best  of PC Monitors and of clearest of skys in the different arenas ,and depend on the "closure rate indicator tag " and gun sights  in AH 1, just to beable to play the game . The way iAH 2 is setup at present with the glare of the sun ,the S.W.A.G. Gun Sights  and the usless closure rate and plane tags  that disappears on and off, Really  needs a no-compromise fix , to the setup used in AH 1 . If the FR advocates don't like it , they can always put on their "hero hat " and fly the game without it ......

np for me either, leave it as is please folks will adapt... Once they break that AH1 crutch it will be fine.....

I and others,  have seen this exact system of Ideology applied by "the click" at WarBirds and now all the arenas combined at IEN, are lucky to have 100 olayers online at prime time .   AH community is more than just lucky to have HiTech and Pyro , they left IEN and built the best WW II online combat sim ever, based on community and fun and I'm sure that AH 2  will continue to be built  on player imput and game fun . .............Every players imput is important and sometimes the best of gameplay settings come from the dumbest comments .... "Like the one I have decided to post here" .
 Thank you for reading .

CHECKERS

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 10:36:48 AM »
Here is something else that the Full Realism advocates are completey forgeting in their adgenda , Their are alot of people (like me) who are sight impaired and (wear glasses ) and have a hell of a-time looking at the best of PC Monitors and of clearest of skys in the different arenas ,and depend on the "closure rate indicator tag " and gun sights in AH 1, just to beable to play the game . The way iAH 2 is setup at present with the glare of the sun ,the S.W.A.G. Gun Sights and the usless closure rate and plane tags that disappears on and off, Really needs a no-compromise fix , to the setup used in AH 1 . If the FR advocates don't like it , they can always put on their "hero hat " and fly the game without it ......

I'm not exactly Superman when it comes to sight. The sunglare is tough for everyone alike(unless having poor sight makes him unable to tell brightness and darkness).  And the distance indicator, and planetype tags are consistent in everyway.

There's nothing "full real" about this - it's just a different setting than it was. All the most important stuff is there - distance, planetype, country indications and icon color. The only difference is belly scratching at very low alts will obscure the icon from time to time, making it difficult to tell stuff(as it should be), and the different increments advocate a steady observation of the enemey instead of the one-look-says-all type of jiffy convenient distancemeter(as it should be).

I and others, have seen this exact system of Ideology applied by "the click" at WarBirds and now all the arenas combined at IEN, are lucky to have 100 olayers online at prime time . AH community is more than just lucky to have HiTech and Pyro , they left IEN and built the best WW II online combat sim ever, based on community and fun and I'm sure that AH 2 will continue to be built on player imput and game fun . .............Every players imput is important and sometimes the best of gameplay settings come from the dumbest comments .... "Like the one I have decided to post here" .
Thank you for reading .

The stagnance of WB is for many reasons and not systems alone. Besides, as it is, pretty much all of the veterans are getting tired of the game becoming Quake everday - the veterans have been, and still are, the most important player base. I'm not sure if I can speak for all of them, but many I know would love to see things become more refined towards realism - it's not like the icons totally taken away or something.

Also, many IL2/FB servers thrive even with penalizingly "realistic" options on. It's just a matter of how one synchronizes game-play aspects with reality. In AH1, it was a little towards "gamey", so in AH2, they moved it a little towards "reality". If this system is really so problematic - then they'd change it. No worries there.

The problem in the mean time, is adaptation. It takes time to adapt to changes. Spend some time with it and see if its really so difficult to play AH as a game. As for me, I've tried all the Betas online, and so far see a significant improvement in gameplay because of this.

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
Distance Countdown...
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 10:50:29 AM »
I really like how the distance counter is now. It gives some uncertainty to when to shoot, but not so much so that a person is clueless.

Cheers to the HTC crew for making some good moves lately.

My vote.. Keep It!

-BM