Author Topic: NPR and The Myth of Liberal Bias in the Media  (Read 256 times)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
NPR and The Myth of Liberal Bias in the Media
« on: May 28, 2004, 11:55:18 AM »
http://www.fair.org/extra/0405/npr-study.html

NEW FAIR STUDY:
How Public Is Public Radio?
FAIR study finds NPR's guestlist favors elites, Republicans, men

National Public Radio, though founded as an alternative media outlet that would "speak with many voices," relies on largely the same range of sources that dominate mainstream commercial news, a new FAIR study has found.  Characterized by conservative critics as "liberal" radio, NPR has
more Republican than Democratic voices, and male sources outnumber female sources by nearly four to one.

Nine of the top 10 most-frequently used sources on NPR were white male government officials. (Secretary of State Colin Powell was the one exception.) The top seven sources were all Republicans.

FAIR's study looked at every on-air source quoted in June 2003 on NPR's four main news shows: All Things Considered, Morning Edition, Weekend Edition Saturday and Weekend Edition Sunday. Think tank sources and regular commentators were analyzed over a four-month period. Results were compared to those from a 1993 FAIR study of NPR sources.

*  PUBLIC VS. ELITE SOURCES:

Elite sources-- including government
officials, professional experts and corporate representatives--  
accounted for 64 percent of all sources.  Non-elite sources-- including public interest voices, workers and members of the general public-- made up 31 percent, up from 17 percent in 1993. But more than two-thirds of the non-elite sources were "people on the street," often anonymous sources who tended to be quoted in one-sentence soundbites. Only 7 percent  of all
sources represented public interest groups, organized citizens groups who articulate a broad range of public viewpoints.

*  WOMEN SCARCE:
 Women made up only 21 percent of all sources--only 2
percentage points more than found in 1993. Women were underrepresented in most subcategories; for example, they made up only 17 percent of journalists interviewed by NPR.

*  REPUBLICANS AMPLIFIED:
Comparing partisan sources*including government
officials, party officials, campaign workers and consultants*Republicans outnumbered Democrats by more than three to two (61 percent to 38 percent). Even when Democrats controlled the White House and both houses of Congress in FAIR's 1993 study, Republicans outnumbered Democrats 57 to
42 percent.

*  THINK TANK SOURCES SKEW RIGHT:
 Representatives of think tanks to the
right of center outnumbered those to the left of center by more than four to one, 62 appearances to 15. Centrist think tanks made 56 appearances.

*  COMMENTATOR DIVERSITY IMPROVED: In 1993, all but one of 27 regular commentators were white, and only 15 percent were women. This year, 20 percent were people of color and 24 percent were women. Still, 60 percent of regular commentators were white men, and only one out of 46 (2 percent)
was Latino, despite the fact that Latinos make up 13 percent of the U.S. population.

"As the public's radio service, NPR should be held to a higher standard than commercial media outlets," said FAIR's Steve Rendall, the lead author of the study. "If the public can't expect to find itself, in all its diversity, on NPR, where should it look?"

The complete 8-page report can be accessed online at:
http://www.fair.org/extra/0405/npr-study.html

(I'm not even gonna have to set the hook on this one...:) )

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 11:58:16 AM »

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 12:09:55 PM »
Damn Rip, I was hoping to see you cut-n-paste again.  I hate clicking links.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »
Originally posted by Mathman
Damn Rip, I was hoping to see you cut-n-paste again.  I hate clicking links.

You clicked one to view this post, you dolt! Come on! Do the math!  ;)

Offline niknak

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »
1) The media isn't about giving you the truth it is about selling advertising.

2) People don't like to watch or listen to programming that contradicts their belifes.

The upshot of these two facts is that ideally the media would never let you hear or see anything that you disagee with. However it is impossible to please all the people all the time so you will often hear things you disagree with. When you disagree with something it is much more likley to jar and be better remembered hence give an impression of media bias, a media bias against you, ohh i bet that makes you furious.

If you disagree with everything you hear you are most likely some kind of whacko extremist who has lost touch with reality.

P.S. My tongue is of course slightly in cheek.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 12:47:46 PM »
Of course there is no bias if you dont watch the news, you know.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 12:52:51 PM »
You guys are not reading this correctly....TROLL ALERT

The article says "Sources Quoted"  There is no way your gonna tell me its not biased by saying NPR "quotes more conservative white males"

What's missing here is the content......If I quote a conservative but blatently critisize him 9 times out of 10 or 90% more than his libral counterpart then YES I am biased.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 12:55:25 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 02:05:20 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
You guys are not reading this correctly....TROLL ALERT
[/IMG]

:rofl

Man, I don't even see the need for using bait anymore...I got me a mounted Ripsnort over my mantle, and didn't even need to set the hook :lol

(scroll all the way down on my original post...hehe)

gunslingr

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 02:22:04 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
You clicked one to view this post, you dolt! Come on! Do the math!  ;)

Ah, wise one, I see what you mean, however, clicking on the link to this thread does not open another window.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 02:30:19 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444

Man, I don't even see the need for using bait anymore...I got me a mounted Ripsnort over my mantle, and didn't even need to set the hook :lol

gunslingr

Bastige! :) So many BBS articles, so little time..

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 03:48:57 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444

gunslingr

You almost had a mounted Gunslinger as well!  Almost;)