Author Topic: RedSnapper  (Read 622 times)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 09:44:52 AM »
Originally posted by snapperhead
Well he just got the boat last summer so he really hasnt gone fising too much, we are all novices at deep sea.  From my understanding the Grouper are coming back in, as well as Cobia and Amberjacks.  We got the GPS coordinates from a retired Charter Captain that just passed away, the 3 times he has been out to that spot he has caught a bunch of snapper, however the one I caught was the biggest one he has seen yet.  Lots of guys at the Marina said it was the biggest one they have seen so far this season.

Cobia season is all but over and AJs never really 'go out' ... They stick round wrecks and such throughout the year..  

What marina did you guys go out of? It has been some time since I've done any bottom fishing. Do you know the new limits and lengths for snaper and AJs?? Pound for pound there is no better fighting fish than an AJ...

Back in the day we used to spear fish like that all the time. Spearing AJs was too easy though and eventually I developed a bad feeling from doing it. So, I just shoot with a camera now.. 8)

dude

AoM

Offline snapperhead

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 09:59:33 AM »
Went out of Lighthouse Marina its right behind Capt. Anderson Marina,  limit on Snapper is 4 per person consisting of no smaller than 16 inches.  Not sure about the others

storch

RedSnapper
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 04:49:37 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
The Snapper off the Texas coast are plentiful, though that one is a Hawg.  I love to eat them, but don't care to fish for them unless we are using electric reels.  Too much work for me.  And they are not bottom feeders, they are reef fish(of course any structure is a "reef").

Take some old refrigirators, washingmachines, cars, etc, and drop them offshore and mark your GPS.  It is like farming them, and most of the party boat operators around here have several farms.

You are right they are not bottom feeders but every red snapper I've ever caught has been bottom fishing.

Offline snapperhead

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 05:21:42 PM »
This one was about 8 cranks of the reel off the bottom, so I'd say maybe 2-3 feet off the bottom (150ft)

Offline snapperhead

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 05:24:31 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Holy crap that thing is big!

How long were you out?

I hope you only kept what you planned to eat.

Was 4 of us out there we caught about 12 or so total, with 3 of them being keepers.  We were out about 4 hours, an hour of that to get out to the location about 2 1/2 hours fishing and a 45 min return trip

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 07:13:05 PM »
Back in the day, we used to catch so many it was sinful.  I'm talking 2' deep covering the cockpit, maybe 2-300 fish from 2# to 4#.  That is why I do not like to fish for them, I was the poor guy that had to clean all of them.

Snapper are a quick growing and reproducing fish.  There is really no need for limits, other than slot limits.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 08:51:03 PM »
Wow you yanks consider that a big snapper?

heres some snapper for ya:

http://www.marlboroughtravel.co.nz/index.cfm/Snapper_Fishing

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
RedSnapper
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
Way to go, Snapperhead. All I need is butter, a frying pan and my lime sauce for that. (lime juice, salt, and some small slit chiliis  in a cruet)

Me and 3 of my brothers caught 5 nice dolphin like this and a blackfin tuna off Marathon, FL Keys 2 weeks ago in 20 kt winds and wide-spaced 6 - 8 with occasional 10 ft seas trollling ballyhoo in about 500 ft depth 15 miles out.

"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline snapperhead

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 10:34:38 PM »
Beautiful fish, what size boat do you guys go out in?  We stayed relatively close to shore 10 miles 3-5 ft seas, but they were packed real close.  I didnt get a pic of his boat, but it is 5 yr old version of this.  Twin 150 Evinrudes

« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 10:38:35 PM by snapperhead »

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 10:59:42 PM »
We were out in a 23 ft open fisherman, also twin Ficht evinrudes. We only trolled downwind with following seas. We buzzed up the gulf side where it was much calmer and crossed over to the Atlantic side to troll back ten miles with the wind. Into the wind it was just not doable. As it was, we could only handle 2 lines out.

It was wet :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 11:19:23 PM »
Here is the last trip I was supposed to go on, but didn't get to because of emergency surgery on the wife(she is fine).  All my brothers and some family friends on there on Pop's boat.  they only raised one Blue, and the wind beat them to death.

http://www.lizking.com/chubcay.htm

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 11:20:54 PM »
p.s. Gunther, whoever stuck that dolphin should be shot.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004, 11:49:59 PM »
Whoever's grilling the bug tail in your photos should be shot too. :D  Nice fish.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
RedSnapper
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 12:06:19 AM »
How did it taste after you removed its cap & T-shirt? :)

Rpm, lots of pictures on that site, check out the url in my sig.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
RedSnapper
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2004, 12:19:15 AM »
There is no other way to fix freshly poached lobster tails, my friend.  Lightly roasted with a garlic butter sauce, mmmmmmmgood.  The leftovers are mixed in with the scrambled eggs for breakfast.  God I love Carribe cuisine.