Author Topic: Gun fire Lag  (Read 215 times)

Offline db96

• Zinc Member
Gun fire Lag
« on: January 07, 2000, 07:24:00 PM »
OK Hitech, this is the way it seems to go. Take off and climb out are normal. All is well until I get close enough to a red target to fire gun. When I get within range and pull the triger, the game will freeze, or lag for a couple of seconds. When it returns to normal the target has usually passed me by and I,m in deep trouble. Standard play for me has been to ID my target pull triger before getting to close and then engage the target. If I don't engage another target immediatly, I must go throught the same procedure as above.  I'm running a Dell Dimension 550 with 128 megs of ram, a Diamond Viper 770D video card (not ultra) with 32megs, and a Sound Blaster Live card. Wondering if anyone else having this problem and if there is a fix. Aside from this it's a great game with great graphics and a good pass time for an old A&P Mech like me.

Thanks DB96

214CaveJ

Gun fire Lag
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2000, 02:04:00 PM »
I have the same problem, running an AMD K6-2 400, Viper 770 Ultra, SB Live!, 64mb ram.

I also have problems with sound crackling and spiking the joystick port hard enough to disngage the autopilot or to roll the bird if the AP isn't engaged.  Had this problem since I put the viper in (I think the viper and live cards just dinnae like each other), but it's not as bad as it was in version 43.

------------------
Air power is a thunderbolt launched from an egg shell invisibly tethered to a base.         -  Hoffman Nickerson

Ladyhawk

Gun fire Lag
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2000, 03:18:00 PM »
Make sure you don't have MS Fastfind in your startup directory.  This has caused the same results for me long ago and is a common problem for lag like that.  It is installed automatically if you install MS Office products.  

Ladyhawk

214CaveJ

Gun fire Lag
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2000, 05:56:00 PM »
thx for the tip LH, but I haven't installed Office on this box yet, so I dinnae think that's the culprit.  And my start up folder is empty.

I was just flying and sometimes it would happen, sometimes it wouldna happen.  I was flying me hawg over f19 and both a pony and a spit owe thier lives to this.  Center of the diamond on me sight, d300, everything nice and steady (no warps from anyone =), squeeze the trigger to deliver some .50 cal lovin and HALT!  screen freeze for 1-2 seconds, then guns fire but the bandit is nowhere to be seen.

Then I was flying around f23 the next sortie and no freezes at all when I'd squeeze the trigger.  Seems an on-again-off-again thing, for me anyay =(

------------------
Air power is a thunderbolt launched from an egg shell invisibly tethered to a base.         -  Hoffman Nickerson

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
I also had the gun lag.  It would occur the first time I fired guns on a sortie, so I ended up squeezing off a few rounds at the first sign of cons so I could clear the pause out of the system.

It happened on my old system, which had a Riva TNT card, 64 megs of RAM

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »
 Go into the control panel and reduce hardware acceleration 1 notch on your soundcard, Warbirds has the same problem and this usually fixes it.

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2000, 05:56:00 PM »
This just started for me very recently.... at the exact time I installed a SB Live Value card.

Will try your fix Weazel

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

214CaveJ

Gun fire Lag
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »
did that weazel, after talking to you in the arena that day.  Still have that problem, though not as pronounced now, thanks.  Still having the "typing in the radio spikes the joystick port" problem though, and sometimes even not touching the keys I'll get the sound 'static bursts' and the port spiking.

Offline db96

• Zinc Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2000, 06:51:00 PM »
I tried it to Weazel and it did seem to help alittle, but do still have the problem. Maybe future patch will address the problem better.

214CaveJ

Gun fire Lag
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2000, 10:09:00 PM »
Are you running a 770 ultra verm?

I personally think it's some kind of conflict between the 770 ultras and the SB Live! cards.  I've got the latest drivers/software for both (though I took out all the audio hq stuff =) and still have this problem, though it's more come and go now.  And it effects other games (can't even fly Falcon 4, total lockup), which is what leads me to the conclusion of some kind of conflict though I can't find one anywhere on my system.  Dinnae have this problem when I was running on a virge trio 3d/2x w/ voodoo2 card, just after I added the viper.

and it spikes me joystick port so hard sometimes it'll disengage the autopilot and roll the bird up on a wing (though the roll is rare)

Offline db96

• Zinc Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2000, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm running the 770, not the ultra with the live card and still have the problem except not as bad. this is the only game I have problem with.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2000, 08:02:00 AM »
No CJ, I am running an old Creative Labs TNT card.

The problem for me has gotten better after I turned down the hardware acceleration like weazel suggested, but it is still minutely there.

Could be some sort of TNT/Live problem though, since we are all running some version of a TNT chip and the Live soundcard. Not sure.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "

Offline db96

• Zinc Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »
I think I may have a solution to the problem. I updated the video card with the new 3.68 driver that Nvidia just released and then updated the Sound Blaster Live driver with the driver dated Nov 99. So far I have not had any more lag, but of course that could change anytime. Maybe It will help you guys too.
                           DB96

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2000, 01:36:00 PM »
I have seen reports of driver conflicts with SB Live and some TNT2 cards. The article I read recomended using WHQL approved drivers to avoid this. I have dug through Microsloths file database for drivers and only found the WHQL`s for brand name PC`s.(Dell,etc) Here`s another idea to try-right click the my computer icon and select properties,device manager,Sound,video and game controllers,SB Live Value,properties,Synth options and reduce the wavetable from 1024 voices to 512.

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Gun fire Lag
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
I have the Creative Labs TNT and the SB Live Value card combo - and get this same problem as well from time to time. A reboot has always cleared this up, but I will try the suggestions here. Thanks!