Author Topic: Solution to the "microfreezes"  (Read 366 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Solution to the "microfreezes"
« on: June 19, 2004, 12:43:06 PM »
I noticed that every time I had a microfreeze my harddrive got busy. I figure the game is accessing the harddrive to load new textures, and have to wait for the HD to deliver the info. I used a small shareware program called RAMdisk to create a dummy HD out of system memory, and installed AH2 onto it. System memory being much faster than any HD, all my microfreezes went away.

Perhaps HTC would consider preloading all the textures into system memory if the computer has memory to spare?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 12:52:43 PM »
downloaded ramdisk but cant understand how to use?

help:confused:

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:48:50 PM »
You need the full "trial" version of Ramdisk XP. If you haven't read the instructions do so: http://www.cenatek.com/User_manual/RAMDiskXP%20Users%20Manual.html

I guess you need at least 512 mb of memory to use ramdisk with AH. Simply set up a ramdisk of about 300 mb, install AH2 onto the ramdisk and play. When you're finished playing copy the AH2 folder to your harddrive for storage. This is important since all data on the ramdisk is deleted when you shut down your computer. Next time you want to play set up the ramdisk again and copy the AH2 folder from your HD to the ramdisk. Rinse, repeat. You get 30 uses with the trial version, but I believe registration for a full version is only 5-10 bucks or so.

Hope this helps.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 01:51:42 PM »
Actually it's $69 according to their webpage. Strange since I got mine for $5 a while back.